Thread: Comb Ridge and Cedar Mesa TR

Comb Ridge and Cedar Mesa TR

..................poked around a few weeks ago thought I'd share a slide show.........

Go here..............

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...view=slideshow

Whoops, forgot how to make a word clickable

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great pictures. Would love to explore the Comb Ridge after reading the Sandstone Spine. Is there anywhere that you have captions with the photos? Would be great to read a little about the photos. Thanks for posting.

Wow... you guys hit a lot of good stuff.

Let's see..........Citadel, Road Canyon, Monarch Cave, Coldsprings Cave, Eagle's Nest, Wolfman Panel, Procession Panel, Moonhouse..........
    Handprints around Monarch and Coldspring. Eagle's Nest you can't get to very easily. Moonhouse is one of the best around, go see it before it is off limits....

Did you have to get a special permit to visit Moonhouse? I noticed this is now posted on the BLM website

McCloyd Canyon/ Moonhouse Recreation Management Zone Day Use Permits
    Public access will be limited to 36 people per day via a permit system for day visits. Entry into Moonhouse Recreation Management Zone requires a Special Recreation Permit available only at the Kane Gulch Ranger Station during the high use season. Day, Week, and Annual Permit holders must get their permits validated for Moonhouse hikes at the Kane Gulch Ranger Station prior to their hike. During the off season, permits will be available on a first come first serve basis at the trailhead entry. All commercial and private groups of 8 or more must have an advance reservation, available from the Monticello Field Office permit desk. Maximum group size is 12. There is no overnight camping within the Management Zone, and car camping is limited only to the designated primitive camp and park area south of Snow Flat Road. Pets are not allowed in this management zone.

They didn't have the permit system in place yet last month, and didn't know when it was going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Did you have to get a special permit to visit Moonhouse? I noticed this is now posted on the BLM website

McCloyd Canyon/ Moonhouse Recreation Management Zone Day Use Permits
    Public access will be limited to 36 people per day via a permit system for day visits. Entry into Moonhouse Recreation Management Zone requires a Special Recreation Permit available only at the Kane Gulch Ranger Station during the high use season. Day, Week, and Annual Permit holders must get their permits validated for Moonhouse hikes at the Kane Gulch Ranger Station prior to their hike. During the off season, permits will be available on a first come first serve basis at the trailhead entry. All commercial and private groups of 8 or more must have an advance reservation, available from the Monticello Field Office permit desk. Maximum group size is 12. There is no overnight camping within the Management Zone, and car camping is limited only to the designated primitive camp and park area south of Snow Flat Road. Pets are not allowed in this management zone.

This is a really cool ruin.... but it has already been "officially" plundered and modernized....

In 1974 the site was raped.... err.... I mean there was a site collection done by archaeologists.... And then a couple years back the BLM hauled in a bunch of sand to stabilize the structure....

Once a site has been modernized I lose most interest in it.... which is why I skip the ranger guided Mesa Verde tour and the Mule Canyon Roadside Ruin....

In anther 20 years there will be a snack bar and t-shirt shack where the permit kiosk now stands.....

Permits are required for Moonhouse. We were there April 20, just walked in and got one for the same day. There are two satellite ruins to Moonhouse that are pretty neat. Also a rattlesnake has made home by a large rock right on the trail........passed over it twice that day, same place.

In anther 20 years there will be a snack bar and t-shirt shack where the permit kiosk now stands.....
    You might be right on. In the early 1980's we went to Little Wildhorse Canyon with the Sierra Club. Back then it was territory unknown and was one of their secret little spots. It sure seemed like remote territory back then. I was there a couple of weeks ago and there was a flyer on the message board that says you can come buy your "I Hiked Littlewildhorse Canyon" t-shirt in the Goblin Valley visitor center.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    "I Hiked Littlewildhorse Canyon" t-shirt in the Goblin Valley visitor center.
    First time I hiked LWH was early 90's, just after Steve Allen's first book came out. Only way to identify the route was where the unmarked wash crossed the road. Last time I was at the TH it looked like a Wal-Mart parking lot....

But I'm not bitching.... the actual canyon is pretty much the same old place and probably several hundred thousand people have had a chance to enjoy the slot since my first visit...

Is that the same Eagles Nest Ruin right by where they found that new dinosaur?

http://www.sltrib.com/health/ci_14743263

"Bluff sculptor Joe Pachak discovered the bones protruding from the base of a 200-foot face near Anasazi cliff ruins known as Eagle's Nest. "

Quote Originally Posted by hike.higher View Post
    Is that the same Eagles Nest Ruin right by where they found that new dinosaur?
    That's the same place....

Cold Spring Cave & Eagle's Nest
    http://climb-utah.com/CM/coldspring.htm

Eagles's Nest

Yep, thats it.............didn't see the dino's though