Thread: Death Hollow

Death Hollow

I am planning a trip to Death Hollow in the Escalante area in May. I will be going from the upper canyon from hell's backbone road down to the Escalante River. I'm having a hard time finding the trailhead on the map though. Does anyone happen to have the gps coordinates for the trailhead?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

try: 37 58.331N 111 37.029W that will get you pretty close. wgs84

Looking at that point on satellite I don't see a parking area. Is it a pretty small parking area?

it is a small parking area. if you look at google maps you can sort of see the trail as it heads down into death hollow. i'm still learning how to embed the maps. look at the topo and you will see that it is the lowest angle slope that drops you into the valley.

Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    Looking at that point on satellite I don't see a parking area. Is it a pretty small parking area?
    The parking area at the Death Hollow trail head on Hell's Backbone is quite small. It can probably accommodate 3-5 cars.

Nat

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.co.nz/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=113024124080051939375.0004857de6767fc882c34&ll=37.971974,-111.617725&spn=0.002453,0.005659&t=h&z=18

I can see it now. Thanks for your help. :) Do you think towards the end of May it will be warm enough to swim through the water in the canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    I can see it now. Thanks for your help. :) Do you think towards the end of May it will be warm enough to swim through the water in the canyon?
    I have done DH about 6 or 7 times from Hells Backbone, usually in the first week or two of June, and once in the end of May. I have never brought a wetsuit, but I have been very cold after some of the swims on a few of these trips. Personally, next time I will bring a 3/2 wetsuit. It will be more enjoyable that way.

Nat

I appreciate that, too, Nat. I may just take a trip down DH at the end of May, also - around the 26th. Wednesday through Friday are up in the air right now, but this is an option. Good to know to include the wetsuit, if so. Thanks!

Maybe see you down that way, ahansen60!

I am going down there May 20-22. Were doing the Boulder Mail Trail to Death Hollow (15 miles one way). Check out the water flow, pretty high this time of year, but manageable. Were taking wetsuits. Call the ranger station, there are some folks there that can also give you some pointers.

go to www.activetrails.com there is a link there which will embed in Google Earth and show you routes that others have taken.

Ya, you park just past the turn where it is a little wider, I remember a Forest Service info sign right close. No trail register till down off the steep pitch, wasn't any real trail when I was there kind of game trail like going down. In June first water is in a large pourover about 10miles down canyon, but May should be good. I remember the narrowest water section being neck deep in June. Also check out the box canyon pool in Mamie Creek. The Escalante may be the bigger question with the flow? You pretty much wade it or cross it a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred72 View Post
    I am going down there May 20-22. Were doing the Boulder Mail Trail to Death Hollow (15 miles one way). Check out the water flow, pretty high this time of year, but manageable. Were taking wetsuits. Call the ranger station, there are some folks there that can also give you some pointers.

go to www.activetrails.com there is a link there which will embed in Google Earth and show you routes that others have taken.
    Thanks for this awesome link!
    I've done the BMT twice now, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! You're gonna LOVE this trail - the route finding is straightforward (except toward the end - we had to cross private property both times) and the scenery is spectacular!
    I'm gonna be in the area over Memorial w/e & I'm considering taking my daughters for this hike.
    Have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Thanks for this awesome link!
    I've done the BMT twice now, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! You're gonna LOVE this trail - the route finding is straightforward (except toward the end - we had to cross private property both times) and the scenery is spectacular!
    I'm gonna be in the area over Memorial w/e & I'm considering taking my daughters for this hike.
    Have a great time!
    Awesome. I am seriously thinking of taking my kids down to that area there the next weekend.

Nice. This one is high on the to-do list. I really need to get down there.