Thread: Embed Google Maps in a bogley post

Embed Google Maps in a bogley post

You'll have 2 options. The first is the general Google Map embed button, which will let you embed a Google Map of any location including a "to and from" route - example Phoenix, AZ to Salt Lake City, UT

This is the button:

...but you will NOT be able to embed CUSTOM Google Maps with multi point or special routes or waypoints.
    Please scroll down to the next post for that option.

Here's a Tutorial video:

And here is a sample Google Map of Moab, Utah using that general button. See that you'll be able to switch between Map, satellite, Terrain, and Google Earth views:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The second (and most awesome-est) is the SAVED Google Maps embed button:

When you sign into http://maps.google.com/ and make (or acquire) some custom maps, you can embed those links here. And when you make changes to those maps, like add a waypoint, change the route, or add some notes, those changes will be reflected in your post.

Here is a video:

And here is a great example from Summit. Notice some of the waypoints have Summit's photos tagged when you click them:

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=116464634257947976353.0004818987ed6092012a2&t=h&z=13

This seems to work for me on a basic level but something's lacking. I create the map and save in My Maps (or My Places as it's called in Google's new interface), copy the link into the middle of my SAVEMAP tag in the post, and preview. It shows my route, but with a default Map, not Satellite, view. How do I specify that the Satellite, or even better, the Earth view, shows up by default in the post? It seems like some of Udink's embedded map posts have shown up with Satellite view as default.

Also, I'd like to define the extents of the view. I don't want miles on either side of my path while my path takes up just a tiny bit in the middle of the image, requiring viewers to zoom in. Is this something that is handled in the My Maps/My Places portion of Google Maps? It seems like when I go there and change the view, it acts like it hasn't changed at all because it still says "Saved" on the save button.

Thanks for your help!
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Dance View Post
    This seems to work for me on a basic level but something's lacking. I create the map and save in My Maps (or My Places as it's called in Google's new interface), copy the link into the middle of my SAVEMAP tag in the post, and preview. It shows my route, but with a default Map, not Satellite, view. How do I specify that the Satellite, or even better, the Earth view, shows up by default in the post? It seems like some of Udink's embedded map posts have shown up with Satellite view as default.
    I believe this is set for each viewer, on each computer. There may be a code out there but I haven't looked for it, but I haven't come across a default code that will show the map in satellite mode. This is usually selected by each viewer, and it may be a cookie setting so the next time they view another map, it will be in satellite mode as well. Not 100% sure on that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Dance View Post
    Also, I'd like to define the extents of the view. I don't want miles on either side of my path while my path takes up just a tiny bit in the middle of the image, requiring viewers to zoom in. Is this something that is handled in the My Maps/My Places portion of Google Maps? It seems like when I go there and change the view, it acts like it hasn't changed at all because it still says "Saved" on the save button.

Thanks for your help!
    You can further customize your map, positioning and zoom as you go to grab the link you'll see the "Customize and Preview embedded map" link. There you can drag the map around and adjust the zoom.

Name:  Capture..PNG
Views: 2197
Size:  116.3 KB

But usually you can avoid that step by zooming in how you like and then saving your map, then grab the link. You may have just saved your map when it was zoomed out a bit.

There have been some recent changes that may misbehave while pasting the link to your map. You'll still want to grab the link, NOT the embed code as shown in the shots below. But when you paste a link in Bogley, it automatically adds the hyperlink value. You'll want to remove the hyperlink by selecting the text, and hitting the "unlink" button in the bar.

Name:  link.png
Views: 1496
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  link2.png
Views: 1682
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  link3.png
Views: 1477
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  link4.png
Views: 1577
Size:  46.1 KB