Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Apple hates Flash by Steve Jobs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow. In geek-speak, he really put the hammer down.

and people wonder why M$ dominates the market....

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    and people wonder why M$ dominates the market....
    Not the mobile market. Not even close. In fact, they are barely on the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Wow. In geek-speak, he really put the hammer down.
    Yep, in geek talk Steve nailed it. I have been using flash professionally for 8 years. Somebody find me a flash site that loads fast, doesn't hog memory and would work well on a mobile device. Hell, flash doesn't run well on some PC's and trust me, its a major pain to make sure it works well for everyone. The smart developers have abandoned flash years ago for the lightweight more efficient languages...JavaScript, Ajax, etc, etc and now HTML5. I honestly don't miss flash on my iPhone or iPad. Flash is hell to work with and the smart companies are switching to HTML5 which you can now export to from Adobe CS5.

Microsoft Looks to a Future of H.264-Based HTML5 for Web Video Content

Microsoft takes a seat on the bus...

-----------

There’s been a lot of posting about video and video formats on the web recently. This is a good opportunity to talk about Microsoft’s point of view.

The future of the web is HTML5. Microsoft is deeply engaged in the HTML5 process with the W3C. HTML5 will be very important in advancing rich, interactive web applications and site design. The HTML5 specification describes video support without specifying a particular video format. We think H.264 is an excellent format. In its HTML5 support, IE9 will support playback of H.264 video only.

H.264 is an industry standard, with broad and strong hardware support. Because of this standardization, you can easily take what you record on a typical consumer video camera, put it on the web, and have it play in a web browser on any operating system or device with H.264 support (e.g. a PC with Windows 7). Recently, we publicly showed IE9 playing H.264-encoded video from YouTube. You can read about the benefits of hardware acceleration here, or see an example of the benefits at the 26:35 mark here. For all these reasons, we’re focusing our HTML5 video support on H.264.

Other codecs often come up in these discussions. The distinction between the availability of source code and the ownership of the intellectual property in that available source code is critical. Today, intellectual property rights for H.264 are broadly available through a well-defined program managed by MPEG LA. The rights to other codecs are often less clear, as has been described in the press. Of course, developers can rely on the H.264 codec and hardware acceleration support of the underlying operating system, like Windows 7, without paying any additional royalty.

Today, video on the web is predominantly Flash-based. While video may be available in other formats, the ease of accessing video using just a browser on a particular website without using Flash is a challenge for typical consumers. Flash does have some issues, particularly around reliability, security, and performance. We work closely with engineers at Adobe, sharing information about the issues we know of in ongoing technical discussions. Despite these issues, Flash remains an important part of delivering a good consumer experience on today’s web.

Dean Hachamovitch
    General Manager, Internet Explorer

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/201...ml5-video.aspx

I know and recognize the words above as English yet I didn't understand a thing. I think I now know how my clients feel when he/seh says, "OK, what just happened? Did I win?" after I argue a technical legal motion in court for an hour or two.

Apple refusing to let end users have control over their own experience is a big part of why I feel Droid is destined to over take the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    I feel Droid is destined to over take the iPhone.
    Sorry but...

I'd have to agree, Flash is old technology. H.264 is the new dog in town.

Droid is supposed to pass the iPhone by the end of 2011. I'm not sure why that would be so hilarious to you, but I'm glad it makes you laugh.

Not the "droid" but "Android"
    Take over... no
    but it is taking a huge slice of the market.

Not the "droid" but "Android"
    Right. I mistyped when I entered droid instead of android.

http://www.intomobile.com/2009/03/06...s-by-2012.html

The thing is that android is and will be on multiple platforms, and so it will just inevitably be more popular. When android becomes more popular, companies will right programs for android by default instead of, or not just the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    The thing is that android is and will be on multiple platforms, and so it will just inevitably be more popular. .
    what do you think about this apparent delay that many experience to upgrade to the latest or newer versions of the android OS?

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    what do you think about this apparent delay that many experience to upgrade to the latest or newer versions of the android OS?
    err what delay?
    I got 2.1 over a month ago.

err what delay?
    I got 2.1 over a month ago.
    with every new version that comes out there is an apparent delay before a specific type of phone can be updated to the OS. for example, android version 2.1 was available in january. motorola took till the end of march to make the update available for the droid phone.

also, there is a very large percentage still using android 1.5 and 1.6. whether this is due to indifference or an inability to update, i don't know.

http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html

I know a lot of the older cupcake phones can not update beyond 1.5/6 ... sucks for them because the voice search/text/navigation in 2.0+ is really awesome.
    No clue as to why Motorola delayed the release of 2.1... in my little world I like to think they were doing some extra Q/A work just to make sure it didn't brick my phone . The only 2.1 feature that I have been really stoked on is the improved gallery.

also I dont get why people get their panties in a bunch about a delayed FREE update

I feel confidently that the HTC Incredible is in every way equal or greater than the iPhone with the exception of the amount of programs available for the Incredible. As more phones like Incredible hit the market, and Android continues to increase in popularity, I have no doubt that Android will win out.

Just curious, what are some USEFUL iPhone apps that the droid market does not have an equal to? Sure, there are some. But while the iPhone app market is maybe several times larger, how much of these are just apps that make fart noises, draw mustaches on people, or show Obama's quote of the day?

Street Fighter 4. I use it all the time. Awesome game! Not sure if it's on Droid? anyone?

My little boy and I play in Bluetooth mode. Fun!