Thread: Mill D

When I rode Mill D two weeks ago my bike was spontaneously shifting gears on climbs. I'm cheap, but knew I needed to cave and pay for a tune or risk mechanical failure and becoming a serious burden on the Tibble Fork ride. I suppose I can suck up one tune up every 18 years.

I left Sugar House at 4 to pick up the bike and get to the park and ride by 5:30. I was also hoping to hit Home Depot for a pair of gloves that could double for biking and canyoneering. Saw a marine store on 7200 S & State and swung in there for sailing gloves - they're not very padded, but for $20 they're built for rope.

Lots of traffic, but I pulled into a full lot right on time.

We loaded bikes and rode with Matt to the shuttle drop & trailhead. I have a National Parks annual pass, and they're good for National Forest as well so we saved the $6 entry fee to AF Canyon.

The trails I've ridden have been too tough (vibration + my lack of skill) for the "good" camera, so I packed my wife's point and shoot again.

The trailhead looked great, and the first bit of ride was super. There was loose rock after crossing the road and an initial climb, and I managed to wipe twice right out of the gate. Both were fine over the bars flips. The first one was just stupidity. The second I went off the track and my front tire found a hole in the growth that stopped the bike solid on a good incline and sent me over. Luckily Matt was working clean up crew on me, and helped to detach my rear wheel to disengage a jammed brake on one of them.

I felt fine from the wrecks. Just a little leg rash, shoulder tweak and elbow bang. Disappointed the wipes weren't caught on Matt's helmet cam.

A few more uphill sections and I was hating it. I could not catch my breath, and walked a lot. Even then I was gasping. My rib cage has some fusion, which means reduced lung expansion that may have been some of my issue. Compared to Puke Hill in Mill D, this section kicked my ass longer and harder. The group was great to wait at the tops, but I was really feeling discouraged slowing them down and keeping Matt back for emergencies.

Caught up with two guys from the trailhead at on a hilltop who were riding a different fork and invited them to the site.

At another rest stop after an uphill, we were buzzed by two motorbikes.

The downhill section was alright, but tough through the steeps on my rigid frame. Timid isn't an ally going down some of that, and although I dodged the full on tire stoppers it was obvious I'm not quite there yet.

We met Steve at the four way and got to the fun, fast part of the ride. Lots of ruts here. they were a new challenge for me, and the previous day's rain had packed the trail nicely but left some slippy sides and puddles in the ruts. My heavy brake riding was giving my hands a workout. Had to give them a rest twice. Managed one more fall for good measure within sight of the road on a switchback, resulting in a twisted handle bar that I chose to ride out to the dam.

Everyone left the dam together on the road to get to the shuttle. The light was changing fast and the road was a weird change after the trail. My left shifter is dead on the bike, so I had to ride in a higher gear to the cars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention (again) how awesome Matt was. He put up with my constant sound effects through the downhill. When I wasn't bitching I was moaning. I was growling and grunting through every bump, rock, root and switchback. Maybe it's my bike frame. Maybe it's my body and fused joints. Maybe it's the combination. Either way, I was feeling it and he didn't laugh once when I could see him.

And yeah Steve, I'm going to need to watch the dental fillings if I keep riding this bike on that trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeps
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention (again) how awesome Matt was. He put up with my constant sound effects through the downhill. When I wasn't bitching I was moaning. I was growling and grunting through every bump, rock, root and switchback. Maybe it's my bike frame. Maybe it's my body and fused joints. Maybe it's the combination. Either way, I was feeling it and he didn't laugh once when I could see him.

And yeah Steve, I'm going to need to watch the dental fillings if I keep riding this bike on that trail.
    Your doing great Deeps. You have made it on two of the most technical rides around. Mueller next week is really smooth and a much less technical ride. Hope to see you.