Thread: Forum channels and discussion boards.

Forum channels and discussion boards.

I've really been getting into TED forums and discussion boards lately. I really enjoy them a lot. Anyone else into these? I'm not sure where these types of discussions should be placed, probably the political section I guess, mods help me out....

Anyways, here is my contribution. Just watched this earlier this morning. It's a beautiful discussion between an atheist, rabbi, and reverend about "big picture" god type principles. It's brutal and honest and amazing. Each speaker was extremely eloquent and made excellent points for his position. No matter how you believe you will take something away from watching this.

http://www.theforumchannel.tv/player...ly%20Favorites

And if you aren't familiar with these types of websites, here is another one that has hundreds or discussions on myriads of different subjects.

http://www.ted.com/

Post your favorites, and share! Or discuss what you thought about the one I posted.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You bastard - I don't have time to watch this, but I want to so badly! Too much to do this morning - I need to install a fence, I need to look at Don's pics, and I need to leave for work in a little while! Arrrgh! Need more hours in the day!

I know... It's really long so I was tempted to not even mention it since most people on this site don't spend the amount of time online that I do.... But it was so good I figured I would take a chance, hehe. The link I posted for the TED ones are around 15-18 mins each. Which is a bit more manageable FYI. And there is some really good discussions on there as well.

Hopefully you get a chance to watch it when time permits.. Here is a short youtube snippet

Dude, Kev's right; you're a bastard. There's a lot there I want to watch. A lot. Added to favorites and now I have homework. I'll post back thoughts but I'd expect this thread to end up in the political section pretty quickly...

Love this.
    I'm listening while catching up on some filing at work. Not too far into it. I'm paraphrasing Christopher Hitchens from from 'The God Question' (link referenced in the first post of this thread);

Name an ethical or moral action performed by a religious person that can not be performed by a secular (non-religious) person.
    Now name an unethical, immoral or evil action performed by a religious person in the name of their chosen god or religion that would not be performed by a secular person.

Beautiful argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Dude, Kev's right; you're a bastard. There's a lot there I want to watch. A lot. Added to favorites and now I have homework. I'll post back thoughts but I'd expect this thread to end up in the political section pretty quickly...
    Hehehe... Yes I'm a bastard.. Before we go to the political section I would just like to mention that there are several talks about inspirational stuff, comedic stuff, technology, etc, etc... Here is a really inspirational talk about a double amputee competing as an athelete. you can't help but love her.

http://www.ted.com/talks/aimee_mullins_on_running.html

Edit: Anyone figure out how to embed these suckers? I see the embed link but doesn't seem to be supported I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Love this.
    I'm listening while catching up on some filing at work. Not too far into it. I'm paraphrasing Christopher Hitchens from from 'The God Question' (link referenced in the first post of this thread);

Name an ethical or moral action performed by a religious person that can not be performed by a secular (non-religious) person.
    Now name an unethical, immoral or evil action performed by a religious person in the name of their chosen god or religion that would not be performed by a secular person.

Beautiful argument.
    The Rabbi's response though is equally beautiful though IMO. Not sure if you've gotten that far so don't want to spoil it. But the point about us being imperfect vessels, and human words being unable to describe spiritual events accurately is well taken I think. Especially given where we were as species when the books of the bible were written. I really liked all the speakers and felt they each held their own very well, IMO.

Alright, you're all bastards, let's just get that out there.

Not going to participate in a debate here, but I hear the same question too, "If there's a God, why do people get away, or benefit from doing evil things?"

My answer is simple - If evil things were immediately punished every time all the time, would they be tempting?

That's all I have to say on the matter.