Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to Live in the Salt Lake area...

Where to Live in the Salt Lake area...

Thought I'd ask a random question - I got a job and am moving from the east coast to the Salt Lake City area...looking for a 2-3 bedroom rental for a young family with good access to the outdoors...ideally <30 minutes from downtown Salt Lake....

Anyone have a place where to live or where NOT to live?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Living right in Salt Lake City itself might be more expensive than just around the mountain, you've got Bountiful which will only be about 15 minutes outside of downtown. Woods Cross seems nice too.

You'll be close to Mueller Park trail, but close enough to all of the Salt Lake trails too.

Cotton Wood Heights!

I live in Woods Cross - it is nice except for the refinery stink that is very rare. There is a lot of train noise as well, but I don't notice it anymore. The Bountiful/Woods Cross area is a smaller town feel with the commuter rail, and we are 10 minutes from downtown. Woods Cross is cheaper to live in than Bountiful and it gets more expensive in Centerville and Farmington. The trails of Davis county are not as scenic as those in other Wasatch areas, but they are not crowded (except Mueller park).

I also lived in Cottonwood Heights for 2 years, and it is very nice, but has the feel of a big city - traffic is very much more a problem and it is a lot more metropolitan than Davis county. The commute isn't that bad as it is 20 minutes or so from downtown. It also sits near the Cottonwoods and is closer to Park City and points East of the city.

I live in Layton and commute to 3300 south every day in SLC, traffic is great and I have about a 35 minute commute max. You will get more for your money in Davis county Vs. closer to SLC. In layton you are close to Snowbasin, low traffic but may be a longer commute than you want.

Quote Originally Posted by robjenson View Post
    good access to the outdoors...
    Every place in Utah has good access to the outdoors. Living on the east side puts you a little closer to the Wasatch Mountains, but the East Side is generally more expensive. The outdoors are about 15 minutes away no matter where you live.

30 minutes from downtown Salt Lake....
    Everything in the Salt lake Valley is less then 30 minutes from downtown.

Anyone have a place where to live
    I live in Draper and I really like it a lot, but it is one of the more expensive places to live in Salt Lake. It's 15 minutes to downtown, 20 minutes to Provo, 20 minutes to Snowbird and Alta. I'd also be happy living in Cottonwood, Murray, Sandy, South Jordan, Bulfdale, Riverton, Herriman, Sugar House.

or where NOT to live?
    Parts of the valley I would not be happy living in would be Rose Park, Glendale, Magna, West Valley City, Kearns.... hope that didn't offend anyone to badly.....those area's are just not my cup of tea.

FWIW: Salt Lake is NOT the center of the LDS religion.... that honor belongs to Utah County (Lehi, American Fork, Orem, Provo). And as an outsider its good to know that things operate a little differently in Utah County then in Salt Lake or Davis County (Bountiful, Layton, Farmington, Ogden). If you are LDS you will probably never notice the subtle difference. If you are not its nice to know Utah County has more of a religious overtone to it than some of the other areas..... more stores close on Sunday, no beer sold on Sunday, many resturants don't serve alcohol, severe lack of adult entertainment, you are looked upon with shame and disgust for not attending Sunday service.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    you are looked upon with shame and disgust for not attending Sunday service.
    I am giving Ice the e-stink eye right now as a matter of fact. That dirty scoundrel and his sinning ways!

The great think about LDS people is you can get free help moving in from the local ward.

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    Cotton Wood Heights!
    CottonwooD heights is a great area because it's between the two canyons (Big and Little Cottonwood) and you can get a reasonably priced home in the area. Of course, with the market SO down right now and so many repo properties, you can just about write your own ticket anywhere for a great house. I live on the east bench in Sandy on the Draper border and love it. Great valley and mountain views, but lots of snow to shovel in the wintertime!

Oh, Ice.... Meetings start at 9 and 11 in the morning and 1 pm. every Sunday at most LDS chaples. No invitation needed. . Come to Mapleton and you can hear me teach about

And wait just a minute... we sell beer in Utah County??? No wonder I have so many DUI clients...

Thought I'd ask a random question - I got a job and am moving from the east coast to the Salt Lake City area...looking for a 2-3 bedroom rental for a young family with good access to the outdoors...ideally <30 minutes from downtown Salt Lake....

Anyone have a place where to live or where NOT to live?
    Seriously, Welcome to a great place to live and raise a family. Ice has pretty well identified the areas I would probably avoid also. Lots of available and empty homes on the market right now and some pretty good deals in the new developments. South and West side of SLC would be less expensive than the Draper/Sandy area. Lots of new and nice subdivisions. Pretty good soccer clubs for the little ones too.

WTF - those in Utah County will know this as "What The Flip" or maybe "Why The Face"....

Hey, don't get me wrong.... there is a lot of UP side to living in Utah County, particularly if you have a young family.... I just wanted to make sure the young feller had all the facts.... because to an outsider Utah County can be a shocker.... heck, I've lived my entire life among the worthy and I still get a bit of a shock when I enter "the bubble".

I live in Cottonwood Heights and really like it here. Not too far from downtown, although sometimes I wish I were closer so I wouldnt have to take half an hour to get to a Gallivan concert or the theatre. BUT, from our house I can be ON a chairlift in 25 minutes. :-)

I dont know about the northern areas, sounds like those that live there have some inside information... all I know is that ANY time I have had to drive north from SLC it's been a parking lot around 5:30 and has added 45 minutes to whatever time it would normally take to drive that distance. You could not pay me enough to make that commute. I would DEFINITELY take the commuter trail if I lived up there or I would have to shoot myself.

Definitely cheaper cost of housing on the west side - check out Daybreak; seems to have a nice family feel to it in that area and they are developing it pretty nicely, but it's a little too far out for me.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Come to Mapleton and you can hear me teach about

WHAT!!!!! You teach about the Emperor??

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    you are looked upon with shame and disgust for not attending Sunday service.
    Uh, from others in the same bar? Just curious how they know you're not in the Sunday service unless they themselves are not in the Sunday service to give you that stink eye.

you teach about santa without his hat?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    WHAT!!!!! You teach about the Emperor??
    Hey now there is an idea. Quote Tom Jones while teaching about Moses. Let's see. How do I incorporate helmets onto the children of Israel? Hmmmm..... I can do this...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Hey now there is an idea. Quote Tom Jones while teaching about Moses. Let's see. How do I incorporate helmets onto the children of Israel? Hmmmm..... I can do this...
    protection from the plague of hail?