Thread: Seeking advice from people "in the know"

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

Seeking advice from people "in the know"

I know there several people on here that are experts in IT and web issues. I have an idea for a website that I think would be very profitable and we've already worked out a plan that for the *advertiser* (those who place their info online) will pay a minimal monthly fee and those looking for what the advertiser is offering, it will be truly and totally a free service - no hidden traps. In addition, we will donate a portion of the monthly profits. For what this site will represent, it will be a definite win/win situation. I know that getting a business site up and running requires (a) a knowledgeable person/crew and (b) funds. My problem is finding the right person who I can trust with the idea and who can develop the site and tell me just what I may be looking at expense-wise. Any suggestions on where to start and who to contact are welcome. I was actually told to approach some of the local colleges to see if I could find the talent (affordable) that I need. Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated. (and no......it's not a dating/adult/etc... website!)
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

As a long time software engineer and architect I would not recommend the hiring of a kid in college. Would you hire a kid in college to build your house? The reality is that you get what you pay for. An experienced software engineer may cost you more per hour but will likely write 3 time more code and it will be better code. If you think that your site in going to be something more than just a “Toy Site”, it needs to be built by someone who knows how to create a scalable, maintainable and extensible code base. Your local college student is unlikely to have that kind of expertise. They may be able to throw something together using PHP of Ruby but in the long run you will need someone whose knows what it takes to create enterprise level software.

If your idea is attractive enough you may be able to get a programmer to give you a discounted rate in trade for equity in the company.

Ken

There should be small contracting firms who would give you a general idea of cost without needing to know the exact specifics of your business model. You can describe it terms of the way you need content and advertisements to appear and be updated and also in terms of what the user experience would be. Once you've narrowed down your possible contractors then get them to sign an NDA prior to divulging any specifics. But I wouldn't rely on the NDA to be your sole protection at first as it could be hard to trace a leak to a particular source if you are shopping the idea around too much. And, it's much better to protect yourself than to be seeking damages!

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Thanks for the input everyone. I have to admit that my first thought was to exchange part of the company for someone's expertise in planning the website instead of coming up with the cash. I will definitely have an attorney draw up an NDA before approaching anyone. I tend to be a trusting soul, but when it comes to business you've got to CYA! The site will definitely be more than just a "toy" site with the hopes of growing bigger each month, so a professional is necessary. It will be a service in a time of need that many people hopefully can use and be helped by it as well.
    Last edited by savanna3313; 04-26-2010 at 05:58 PM.

When the time comes I know several top flght software engineers who are allways looking for after hours gigs. Ping me when you are ready and I'll give you some contact information.