Thread: Overnight Backpacks near Saint George?

Overnight Backpacks near Saint George?

Hey guys, with college classes ending this week I'd like to get out. I've been looking around but I can't find too many overnighters near Saint George. Are there any that you guys would recommend? Something fun, not too technical, and good for this time of year would be great.

I've been looking at some trails in the Red Cliffs reserve but their site isn't too helpful; the maps don't give much information. Are there many opportunities out there?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

a few ideas.

grand canyon parashant nat. monument, toroweap area on the north rim of the grand canyon, escalante canyon.

just i'm not sure about the road conditions. the parashant is almost due south of st. george. typically the roads should be good out that way. what kind of car do you have?
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Coalpits Canyon complex has some nice backpacking, but it would already be getting quite hot down there. The West Rim or East Rim Trails too, but they might have a little snow. Canaan Mountain makes a really nice backpacking area. This time of year should be prime.

The possibilities for the Arizona Strip are unlimited, but some of the country down there is takes more skills to navigate than the ones mentioned above. Surprise Canyon (via Twin Creek) might be my favorite and the road is good for all cars. Just make sure you have four or more days at your disposal or you may have to turn back right when you are getting to the really good stuff.

Some of the lower canyons in the Western Grand Canyon/Parashant are already getting really hot by this time of year. Surprise Canyon is a good one because of all the water, pools and waterfalls, but personally I would avoid the dry canyons by now.

I'm in a 4x4 pickup so road conditions aren't a huge factor for me.

For the next month or so I'll only be able to do one-night trips. I've heard about Canaan Mountain and it looks pretty nice, but I'm not terribly experienced so will I have issues finding the trail? Same goes with the Toroweap trails; will a newbie have issues on them?

Thanks for the replies.

[QUOTE=Garrett1104;399906]
    so will I have issues finding the trail? Same goes with the Toroweap trails; will a newbie have issues on them?
    QUOTE]

i sure hope so! how else do you get experience reading maps? getting lost is half the fun. a good map and an eye on your odometer will get you to most trailheads.

I've heard about Canaan Mountain and it looks pretty nice, but I'm not terribly experienced so will I have issues finding the trail?
    The trails, probably not, but one of the highlights of Canaan Mountain is exploring the top and trailess areas.

Same goes with the Toroweap trails; will a newbie have issues on them?
    Probably not since even if and when you lose the trail you just follow the bench between the canyon rim and higher rim to get back. That said, I would not recommend the trails at Toroweap this late into spring. especially if you are a beginner. The Lava Falls trail is steep, hot and shadeless. The Tuckup Trail is shadeless and has long stretches without water. Save those routes for cooler weather.