Thread: Good Day Jim, Hard Day Harvey, Woodsy and Woody Conditions

Good Day Jim, Hard Day Harvey, Woodsy and Woody Conditions

Hey all,

Got into some great canyons last weekend. Here's what we found.

The road to Good Day Jim and Hard Day Harvey is decent. I'd definitely recommend high clearance. 4WD would be nice too, but I kept my Jeep in 2WD and was fine. There are a few sandy spots, but I was able to keep moving and get through them fine.

Good Day Jim was a fun little romp. The first keeper pothole had water in it; but I don't know how deep. We did a partner assist move to stem over it. The second keeper was pretty full, and it was warm outside, so we decided to swim across it. It was a little balance move to get out; but not too difficult. When the water level drops a little more, it will be a more difficult exit. (It can be bypassed though.) All the other water was either avoidable or waist deep (or less.) None of us put on wetsuits; but it was upper 70's and sunny.

Hard Day Harvey was a fantastic canyon; but quite a bit more effort than Good Day. Overall, it had more water areas than Good Day. Some we stemmed or jumped over. All the water we went in was waist deep or less. It was lower 70's and sunny, and we didn't carry wetsuits and were fine.

Woodsy was pretty much dry. The only water was easily avoidable. I think one of us got into water that was less than knee deep. No wetsuits needed. Fun little slot.

Woody was a blast; a great pothole escape as well as natural anchor/partner assist canyon. We hit one pothole that had chest deep water, and the rest of the water was waist deep or less. Two people started to get chilled and put on thier wetsuits right near the final pothole, only to find out they needed to take them off shortly afterwards (and so they wished they hadn't put them on...) However, it was again lower 70's and sunny; so your mileage may vary. I didn't put on a wetsuit and was fine; but I run warm.

All in all, a perfect weather weekend and some great company in fun canyons... Pictures and TR to come later...

Hope that helps!
    A.J.
    Last edited by Iceaxe; 04-26-2010 at 03:13 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Woodsy was pretty much dry. The only water was easily avoidable. I think one of us got into water that was less than knee deep. No wetsuits needed. Fun little slot.
    A.J.
    Thanks for the condtions report.

Did you do a rap in that bad boy? I thought I spied a downclimb "around" it last time I was in there. Curios if anybody has tried it.

-Brejcha

Ya thanks for the report. We followed your footprints in Hard Day Harvey today.

No worries.

Matt, I don't remember if there was a rap or not. We downclimbed past several anchors over the weekend...