Thread: Larry Canyon

Larry Canyon

This isn't as much a trip report as a couple of questions. I forgot to take my camera so no pictures. We went down on Saturday with a Young Mens group, we had 18 total in our group. The canyon was perfect for all around difficulty etc. 15 of them had never seen a canyon or a rappel device so it had its moments. One of the boys had to bite on a stick when rappeling because he was afraid he might bite of his tongue. They had a great time. My question is most of the beta that I read talks about walking around the last two rappels. I had forgotten about this option and we did the last two rappels, wish we would of skipped them due to it getting late when we got there but oh well. The other two leaders had done this canyon several times and when I told them of this option after we got back they are confused on how this can be done. If we are talking about the same rappels, the second to last is a pour off with two bolts and a tree as the anchor? The rappel goes down about 50 ft. then walk across a flat LDC to your right an rappel down a slanted chute that could be down climbed. Then the last rappel has a difficult start and then your out? I assume that you are going around these on the left LDC but in glancing that didn't seem feasible? The other guys think that I'm nuts?
    Next question, I went back and reread the Larry accident and can't decide where he fell, was it on one of these or the rappel downclimb prior?

Mark
    Last edited by Iceaxe; 04-26-2010 at 03:16 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    This isn't as much a trip report as a couple of questions. I forgot to take my camera so no pictures. We went down on Saturday with a Young Mens group, we had 18 total in our group. The canyon was perfect for all around difficulty etc. 15 of them had never seen a canyon or a rappel device so it had its moments. One of the boys had to bite on a stick when rappeling because he was afraid he might bite of his tongue. They had a great time. My question is most of the beta that I read talks about walking around the last two rappels. I had forgotten about this option and we did the last two rappels, wish we would of skipped them due to it getting late when we got there but oh well. The other two leaders had done this canyon several times and when I told them of this option after we got back they are confused on how this can be done. If we are talking about the same rappels, the second to last is a pour off with two bolts and a tree as the anchor? The rappel goes down about 50 ft. then walk across a flat LDC to your right an rappel down a slanted chute that could be down climbed. Then the last rappel has a difficult start and then your out? I assume that you are going around these on the left LDC but in glancing that didn't seem feasible? The other guys think that I'm nuts?
    Next question, I went back and reread the Larry accident and can't decide where he fell, was it on one of these or the rappel downclimb prior?

Mark
    CAN walk around and downclimb ledges to the left, but having done that twice and the raps twice, I'd take the raps any day. Especially with kids in tow. I need to teach you some speed tricks Mark!!!

Two bolts and a tree? Jeesh, there are so many natural anchor options in the area, why would some numbskull put in bolts! (On the list for removal).

Yes, that is the 'correct' exit rappels. But, using meat anchors or other temporary anchors, perhaps a rappel could be set somewhere else for the final rap, so not all the boys need to do that very awkward start. Certainly a courtesy anchor might be called for, depending on how that thing is set up.

Remember in the canyon, the two main rappels were a long one off chockstones into a room, then right after that, one off a BIG chockstone. Then maybe below that a downclimb/rappel. I think he fell in this section. Pretty impressive epic forward retreat to get to the final raps!!!

Tom

I've done both routes as well. Second to Tom's thought. The raps way is much easier/shorter, especially if the anchors are already set up. No comparison.

We didn't place the bolts they were there. They look new. I wondered if the SAR guys had put them in to lower him down? They were well placed but they have red webbing on one and blue webbing on the other. On the last one we did have a courtesy I had to do the lousy start. But even with a courtesy they were struggling to get over the edge. At every rappel we used a stone knot so we could send them down as fast as they could get on the rope. I thought he might of fallen where the root is used as an anchor?

I prefer the walk around.... different strokes.... your mileage may vary...

What is the 4th class exit crack climb like? Compared to, say, Monkey Business?
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27 View Post
    What is the 4th class exit crack climb like? Compared to, say, Monkey Business?
    The "Kelsey Exit" from below the last raps in the West Forks of Butler is similar in difficulty but WAY more loose and sketchy. So Larry is essentially way easier. Might belay kids for the last move, but easy enough to spot from below.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

No one happened to run through Larry since all the rain have they? I think that is the top of my list for potential canyons this weekend, but I am wondering about its tendency to hold or drain water, and if wetsuits would be needed...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Okay, I'm feeling cantankerous today so here goes:

Mark, one speed trick is to not take 18 people! To each his own, but that does not sound very enjoyable.

Tom, it is my understanding that the two bolts were placed by SAR during the rescue. I would not have placed them, but I happily used them last time I was there. Did not detract from my wilderness experience AT ALL. In fact, the bolts are much less intrusive than the webbing farm that used to be there. They are good bolts, I would humbly suggest leaving them, but once again, to each his own.

Iceaxe, why would anyone go canyoneering and then walk around two fun rappels that take less time than the walk-around? I'm always surprised that some canyoneers make a point of skipping pools and drops. Part of the idea is to rappel drops and swim through pools, right? You could just walk around the entire canyon and then you wouldn't have to rap anything!

DWayne, I wouldn't take a wetsuit through Larry. I have only ever seen one pool in there, it is usually about waist-deep. If worried about it, I would rather bring a dry change of clothes through Larry than a wetsuit.

Thanks for the response canyoncaver - I think we will pass on the wetsuits then. A little wading never bothers me, I just dont want to freeze if there are some longer swims or anything like that. Hopefully it will work out. Plan on hitting the North Fork as well.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    One of the boys had to bite on a stick when rappeling because he was afraid he might bite of his tongue.
    OK, that is funny. You could have removed a bullet or an Indian arrow also with all the stick biting. Having taken hundreds of boys through canyons, I am certainly not surprised but that is original.
    Life is Good

DWayne..I was thinking about doing Big Spring in the same area and had the same questions...what are the odds of doing some long cold swims in the area? I think we're going to play it safe and hit up Irish Canyons...

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The "Kelsey Exit" from below the last raps in the West Forks of Butler is similar in difficulty but WAY more loose and sketchy. So Larry is essentially way easier. Might belay kids for the last move, but easy enough to spot from below.

Tom
    +1

Agreed. The exit from Larry is easy. I would however suggest not looking for it in the dark on your first trip. Make sure you have daylight for the climb and the slickrock exit.

Thanks for all the input. Looks like I will have to wait before checking it out anyway - I was worried about the weather and roads, but it ended up being a broken water pump that ruins the trip this weekend

I know that you ended up not going to Larry, but as an FYI: I was there on September 25th, shortly after some good rain. We experienced water throughout most of the canyon, with several spots armpit deep. I actually enjoyed it much more than other descents with little water and a few mud holes.