Thread: Help--What type of snake?

Help--What type of snake?

First off no i dont have a pic. My wife called me today and she dont like snakes and she saw on it the backyard while the kids were playing she says it was 3 feet long so i am guessing closer to 1.5 feet Iit was black with a red stripe kinda corkscrewing along its back. I am guessing it was a gardner snake but i did not see it. there was no yellow on it like the gardner snakes i am use to and i cant find anything on the net that would fit the bill. I spacifically asked if it was banded so it does not seem like it is a King snake do you have any ideas????
    "I'm a firm believer that if you play for more than you can afford to lose, you will learn the game." Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Milk Snake or variant of Garter Snake? Red and Black, friend of Jack. Red and Yellow, kill a fellow.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Milk Snake or variant of Garter Snake? Red and Black, friend of Jack. Red and Yellow, kill a fellow.
    Well that saying is to help differentiate King and Coral Snakes. They are banded, not stripped. That is the lines go around the body and not down the length.

Funny story about King vs. Coral: We have no Coral Snakes in NorCal (nor Utah for that matter). But they are found in AZ, TX and Mexico. I had some local migrant workers pulling weeds in my yard last year and I found them all upset about a "muy peligroso serpent". I tried to explain that our King Snake is harmless but they were not convinced. Of course, they were probably used to living amongst deadly Coral Snakes so I wasn't going to push the issue.

Wikipedia link on Coral Snakes
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

When i ogt home i found out the truth it was about 1.5 feet and it did have a stripe down the back in red so it is a gardner snake thanks though
    "I'm a firm believer that if you play for more than you can afford to lose, you will learn the game." Winston Churchill