Thread: Backpacking in Zion - Transportation

Backpacking in Zion - Transportation

Greetings,

I'm a member of the Green Mountain Club, and I was thinking of leading a backpacking trip at Zion National Park in Utah. The only bit of logistics that I have a question about is where to park and how to get a ride back to the van when we're done. Anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas?

Mary

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by maryoneill View Post
    Greetings,

I'm a member of the Green Mountain Club, and I was thinking of leading a backpacking trip at Zion National Park in Utah. The only bit of logistics that I have a question about is where to park and how to get a ride back to the van when we're done. Anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas?

Mary
    It would help to know where you want to start the trip, where you plan to end the trip and what time of the year.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Details, Felicia, details. :o)

I was hoping we'd start across from Zion Lodge and end at Lee Pass. I'm shooting for mid-June of next year.

Mary

Blog Entries
    Tanya or Bo_Beck would probably provide the best details and advice for ya.
    Be sure to GPS all the Zion backcountry springs though, and of u need the coords I can help out there.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Tanya or Bo_Beck would probably provide the best details and advice for ya.
    Be sure to GPS all the Zion backcountry springs though, and of u need the coords I can help out there.
    Why do I need to GPS the springs? Is it because it's such an arid environment? I'm used to hiking in New England.

Blog Entries
    well....I've backpacked through Zion twice, and the springs come in very handy. There isn't much water at the higher elevations (where your trail is) but at lower elevations, there is plenty of water around. And that route from the Lodge to Lee Pass/Kolob Arch area - is around 40+/- miles. And I go through a LOT of water. I can easily drain my entire camelback on a hike up Angel's Landing (and that's 3 liters!) My body sweats so much and I have to drink as much as I can (especially in the summer, the time when you are going). But obviously, your mileage may vary. Just trying to assist.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Zion Adventure Company has shuttles to trailheads, but I don't think they go to Lee Pass. You could probably hire someone to do it, but it would be expensive.

My dad and I hitch hiked Kolob Reservoir to Lee Pass before, so that is an option.

Anyway, in the La Verkin Creek area summer is nice with the swimholes, but I assume you know that for the rest of your hike, mid June is not really the best time to go.

Is it because it's such an arid environment?
    By Southern Utah standards it isn't that arid, but at low altitudes it will be hot and there are still some long stretches without water. Climbng out of Zion Canyon to the West Rim will be the hottest part. If you missed West Rim (Cabin) Spring then it would be a very long day(s) without water.

Doing the trip Lee Pass to Zion Canyon will be the easiest direction in a physical sense, but it would probably be a little harder to hitchhike that direction.

Greetings,

I was hoping we'd start across from Zion Lodge and end at Lee Pass. I'm shooting for mid-June of next year.
    hi mary,

i've done the hike you're referring to. to deal with the car shuttle, we planned to meet a friend of mine who was also traveling at the time. this was before the new zion shuttle. we parked my car at the zion lodge and had my friend drop us off a lee pass and then we hiked the opposite way you're suggesting. if you did the same today, you would instead park at the visitor center parking lot in zion canyon and would take the shuttle back to your car after you finished your hiking. you can also park at lee pass. a number of people park there and overnight in la verkin creek. the reason we chose the opposite direction was mainly to descend into the dramatic main canyon at the end of the hike and the opportunity at angels landing to soak it in for a few extra moments at the end. though hiking out la verkin will give you a relatively quieter experience to end the trip, since there are fewer people in that area than coming down from the west rim in the main canyon

as scott points out, it's quite hot during june. we hiked in early may and that was a very nice time with only a few warm moments. as has alao been pointed out, there are stretches of that trail were water is an issue. so knowing where the springs are (at least on the map) and having enough water for the group is important. there is considerable elevation gain hiking up from zion canyon to the west rim, hiking the route this way could increase the need for water amongst people in your group.

Thanks for all of your responses.

I thought there still might be snow in the some of the areas where we would be hiking in May. I guess that's not the case.

I picked the direction that I presented because it appears as if the longest span without fairly reliable access to clean water is from Beatty Spring to Saw Mill Springs. I thought I would make that the downhill; but you folks seen to indicate the hottest part would be from the Lodge to the end of West Rim; so maybe I need to rethink that.

I also think switching directions would help address our shuttling situation. It would probably be easier to find people to give us a lift if we end the hike in the more crowded area of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    well....I've backpacked through Zion twice, and the springs come in very handy. There isn't much water at the higher elevations (where your trail is) but at lower elevations, there is plenty of water around. And that route from the Lodge to Lee Pass/Kolob Arch area - is around 40+/- miles. And I go through a LOT of water. I can easily drain my entire camelback on a hike up Angel's Landing (and that's 3 liters!) My body sweats so much and I have to drink as much as I can (especially in the summer, the time when you are going). But obviously, your mileage may vary. Just trying to assist.
    Hi jman,

If you have the spring coordinates, I'd be most grateful.

Mary

I have one more question. How is September for this trip? May really isn't a good for me because of work.

If you have the spring coordinates, I'd be most grateful.
    Not Jman... but....

Cabin Spring (sometimes called West Rim Spring)
    N37

You might also consider caching water where the trail crosses or approaches the Kolob Terrace Road. Hop Valley TH or below Lava Point might be likely spots.