Thread: Another n00b joins the fray

Another n00b joins the fray

Hello all! I am a graduate student that (unexpectedly) moved to Utah relatively recently. While I'm here I'd like to make the best of it. Last summer I had a chance to join some people for the Subway and had a blast. I'm back for more and would love to try something slightly more challenging. There seems to be lots of good advice here and I'd love some suggestions for a day hike in Zion that would likely be open by mid-June (12-13th).

I will be with a group that includes a few experienced climbers but nobody that has done a canyon more involved than the Subway. It looks like Keyhole will still be open (?) and I'm wondering if that sounds like a good choice for something that's slightly more involved. I'd love to do another, longer, hike as well the day before or after. Would Orderville be open by then? I know nobody can predict the weather but I'm sure there are those here that would have a much better idea than I. Thanks a lot for any advice!

Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Welcome to bogley! You'll probably have your best results to Zion canyon questions in the Canyoneering forum:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/forumdis...5-Canyoneering

Hi Eck, and welcome! Keyhole is a good option if you're comfortable with short rappels and swims. Beautiful, short, easy canyon. Orderville should by open by then, with any luck. I figure the Narrows will be closed longer than usual this year, but by June 12/13, flows should be back down to a dull roar.

You've come to the right spot to find folks into this stuff...

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    wetsuits for keyhole, cold water even when the temps are above 100 F

Welcome!!!

Ya man good picks on the canyons. Keyhole is super short. You could probably do that in the morning in less than 2 hours, then continue on up the hill and do Orderville. Might be pushing it a little but not too bad I think. That one takes like 6-8 hours depending on how much you stop to enjoy it. I did Orderville and angel's landing in the same day. Keyhole is definitely more technical but still not too hard, its really really cold though. Trackrunner is very right. In fact my first time going through was with him. :)
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Thanks a lot for the tips. We'll definitely have wet suits with us for Keyhole. Looking forward to the trip!

Howdy & Welcome

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Welcome!
    Chere'