Thread: Sedona, Joshua Tree, and some Mojave desert March26- April 4

Sedona, Joshua Tree, and some Mojave desert March26- April 4

Recently I was brave enough to take a road trip sans "A MAN" and just "mom with children" across the southwest. The plan was to have some fun in Flagstaff, hike in Sedona and eventually get to Joshua Tree national park for some camping with the kids. It all worked out beautifully. We hiked the Bell rock loop in Sedona and found a canyon vortex which was a great experience. I found Sedona pretty intriguing but wasn't a fan of how busy and expensive the downtown area seemed. But I didn't let that perception ruin it for me and would go back in a heartbeat mostly to explore the areas hiking.

Joshua tree was a different story. I really LOVED the park itself and all it had to offer but was kind of scared of Twenty-nine Palms California. The town was plagued with addicted people. Maybe it was just me? But I was very uncomfortable and felt like I stepped into the movie "Spun". At any rate, we camped in Indian Cove campground which was like NO OTHER!!! Our camp spot was out of this world for car camping. One of the best ever. The rocks and boulders abound in this area and the kids had a blast scrambling around for hours. Luckily we caught some of the desert flowers in bloom, some were still about to bloom and some were already done. We also were fortunate enough to catch the full moon which was one of the prettiest I've ever seen.

On our way out of Joshua Tree, we stopped in Bullhead city to visit family and did a bit of off roading out in the mohave desert. It was SO green and lush! Loved it.

And of course on our way home, stopped in St. George to have lunch with Chere and Jake.....their treat which was SO nice of them. I owe them lunch next time!!!!

Overall it was a GREAT trip. I didn't explore or do any warrior style hiking like I normally do. Mostly because loading and unloading alone and all the work it entailed with kids just wore me out to be honest. Camping was great but we had some crazy winds at night that kept me awake so my energy levels were a bit low. So that's the dealio folks!

Anyhow enjoy a few photos from my excursion!

PS- was very excited to use my new jet boil flash for the first time. SOOOOO nice to have coffee in a jiffy. HAHA!
    Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Last edited by abirken; 04-14-2010 at 07:55 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Woo-hoo! Looks like a great time, indeed! Bet the kids had a good time. That Flintstones campsite at Indian Cove looks like a riot.

So the Jet Boil worked well? (Mmmm, coffee... ) I got mine in the mail last week, but haven't picked up a canister yet. Really looking forward to trying it out.

Yup Kev, I loved my Jetboil flash. I have heard from friends that the igniting system is short lived but mine fired right up. Enjoy yours!!!!!
    We can compare notes in Zion. Woohoo!

Woot Woot! Nice TR, nice pics. Love the shot of camp in the boulders and of the Cacti flowers! Getting out the prayer beads again; jealousy is a sin ya know!

Sounds like a fun trip! We stayed in 29 Palms New Years before last. There's a nice dog-friendly motel that was converted from an apartment building. Didn't see any meth-heads, but the restaurants there sucked big-time. Yuck! But the murals all around town are very nice. For everyone else: something like 20 buildings have entire walls covered in murals depicting a wide variety of things either historical, armed forces appreciation, or just whimsical. It really helps spruce up a town sorely in need of sprucing!

I think Yucca Valley is probably a better bet in general. Did you do one of the palm canyon/oasis hikes? I love those spots.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Woot Woot! Nice TR, nice pics. Love the shot of camp in the boulders and of the Cacti flowers! Getting out the prayer beads again; jealousy is a sin ya know!

Don, you own prayer beads? We need to have a discussion. Over a dark beer. See you in Zion! Woot woot!

Yes Ststephen, I was approached 5 different times by people in need of money and gas. I had a confrontation with one guy and he wanted to kick my car. It wasn't nice. Maybe I just have "freak magnet" invisibly tattooed on my forehead? Not sure. Didn't spend much time in 29 Palms as a result. Just enough to get gas and hit up the grocery store-once we found the RIGHT grocery store which is another story. Murals were cool! Yes I agree. It was just such a weird energy in that town and it's hard to describe. I didn't feel comfortable.

We did the Hidden Valley loop and just drove the park. I don't remember now which areas we got out and hiked around at, but we spent all day t here which was easy to do.

I don't actually own prayer beads; an exaggeration for the sake of the comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by abirken View Post
    It was just such a weird energy in that town and it's hard to describe. I didn't feel comfortable...
    I totally agree. My wife and I were there last summer, and didnt really do much but drive, get some gas, and maybe stop at a grocery store, but yeah, weird energy. We couldnt quite put our finger on it, but didnt like it there.

But excellent TR. We had fun exploring and taking pictures in Joshua Tree. Would have liked a little more time to spend there.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

nice trip and wonderful shots. Especially the ones with the cacti in bloom.

Thank you all for the nice compliments. The flowers are so odd because they don't look that beautiful until you get up close to them. :) Don- I know you don't own prayer beads and I find you comedic.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Very nice shots and great TR. That campsite looks incredible.

Re: TR- Sedona, Joshua Tree, and some Mojave desert March26- April 4

Looks like you had a great trip!!! How did you like the Monte Vista? I'm glad you liked JTree. I love when the catci are in bloom. Next time you are out this way, I hope we get to visit. In the meantime, May is almost here. :-)
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Looks like you had a great trip!!! How did you like the Monte Vista? I'm glad you liked JTree. I love when the catci are in bloom. Next time you are out this way, I hope we get to visit. In the meantime, May is almost here. :-)
    I loved the Hotel Monte Vista! Was such a cool hotel in such a cool area of Flagstaff. We had a really fun room too. HURRY MAY!!!!!

Great pictures! Looks like an awesome adventure.

Looks like a great time! I now I'm way behind on this thread...
    I'm planning a trip to Sedona next year (I'm actually going on a group trip with my mother-in-law! This is the one we're considering: http://www.ymtvacations.com/find-a-v...red-rocks-tour) Anyway, we're going to have limited time there. Any suggestions for places we absolutely have to see? I'd really like to visit a vortex or 2... what's the best way to do it quickly (we won't have time to hike around...). Thanks for your help!

Man only wish my mom was that cool when I was a kid
    Funny how things work out sometimes.
    Now my father has passed and mom and I get out from time to time to enjoy the mohave after the heat of summer. She is going on 80 and we have never been closer.
    My kids are all up north and come down from time to time to enjoy these spaces with grandma.
    You have the luckiest kids in the world so keep up the good work.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Sedona, Joshua Tree, and some Mojave desert March26- April 4

Thanks a bunch!