Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hole-in-the-Rock Adventure 2010

As close-up as I could get a photo of the Hole-in-the-Rock. When the pioneers encountered the cliffs down to the river from the other side, this cleft in the rock was the only way down they could find. They managed to blast a very steep wagon road from the top down to the river. This ordeal is where the name Hole-in-the-Rock expedition came from, though they encountered numerous obstacles in the terrain along the way.

Back near the top again.

Rob & Jared back at camp

Navajo Mountain towers above as we start the trek back. Our goal was to take it slow on the way back and stop for a few more hikes.

A few slickrock fins to climb and descend.

Parked near the bottom of 'The Chute' to go on our next hike of the day.

On our way...

Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jeeps below us.

Oasis in the canyon.

There were a number of large potholes filled with water we had to go around.

Finally, we reached our destination: Old Settler Natural Bridge

Dave on the steep slickrock

Fun with reflections

Randy Langstraat

Can you spot Jared high above?

Back at the Jeeps....another reflection

Our next obstacle....The Chute...straight ahead

Going up!

Ledge at the top of 'The Chute'

Back up on the mesa! Heading towards the Henry Mountains
    Randy Langstraat

Our next hike would take us down The Rincon trail a little ways. We wanted to try and find a high undercut pouroff into Iceberg Canyon.

After about a mile and a half, we were staring down into Iceberg Canyon, but not at the right location. We wanted to get to the pouroff directly across the canyon from this viewpoint.

Photo of me

Soon we were scrambling up and over some steep slickrock domes to reach the other viewpoint. We did finally make it!

Long way down

Apparently, men are required to throw rocks from high ledges, so we abode...

Great scenery along the hike as well
    Randy Langstraat

Once we made it back to our vehicles, we were back on the trail again.

Headed down from Grey Mesa

When it started getting late again, we found a large area of slickrock to camp for the night.

We were treated to a colorful sunset.

Checking out our videos from earlier in the day before turning in for the night.

It was another long and very fun day! I'll have great memories from this day :)
    Randy Langstraat

Again - great stuff! Really enjoying this report!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Randy
    This area is awesome. I would really like to make this trip.
    Do you have any tracks from here you might share?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Randy
    This area is awesome. I would really like to make this trip.
    Do you have any tracks from here you might share?
    Yes, I did keep tracks from the whole trip. I just haven't had a chance to go through them yet.....I'll post them up here once I do.
    Randy Langstraat

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    this thread is full of win

Sunday, April 11, 2010 | Day 4
    Monday, April 12, 2010 | Day 5

We had camped pretty close to the end of the trail the previous night, so once we were up and packed up we made our way back to the highway. I didn't stop for anymore photos on the way out. Once back at the highway, a few of us stopped at Cal Black Memorial Airport to fuel up. Everyone else was heading back home, but I had one more day to do some exploring. On my way back towards Blanding I decided to try and head down Red Canyon to Lake Powell.

It started out as a recently maintained county road through some great scenery

Henry Mountains in the distance

Eventually the road started to get a little rougher and had not been maintained recently. There were a lot of rocks and small boulders that had fallen from the canyon walls and had to be avoided.....even one large boulder I was able to squeeze by.

Randy Langstraat

Unfortunately I took a wrong turn by staying on the main road and not following the bottom of Red Canyon and didn't quite make it to Lake Powell. By the time I realized my error, it was time to turn around and head back out, so I'll have to come back other time to finish all of Red Canyon. There are a number of side trails in the area, so I need to go back anyways ;)

When I reached the pavement again, I headed to Blanding for some dinner. Being a Sunday in Utah, pretty much my only option was Subway. After dinner I headed south to Bluff so that I could check out The Bluff Fort Historic Site, which is dedicated to the San Juan Mission and their settlement at Bluff, Utah. I figured that stopping my this site would be the perfect end to my Hole-in-the-Rock weekend!

The Navajo Twins towering above Bluff

Sunbonnet Rock, dedicated to the pioneers of the San Juan Mission in 1958

Sunbonnet Rock and the Navajo Twins
    Randy Langstraat

Here's a few photos from The Bluff Fort Historic Site

Kumen Jones Ruin

The Barton's well and cabin

Plenty of wagons around

Randy Langstraat

But I think this was the coolest wagon at the site, as it was one of the original wagons to travel through the Hole-in-the-Rock trail

After wandering around the Bluff Fort for a while, it started to get late so I needed to find a place to camp. I decided to head over to the Sand Island Recreation Area a few miles outside of Bluff for the night.

Randy Langstraat

From my campsite, I was able to walk over to the Sand Island petroglyphs and shoot a few photos.

After a good nights sleep, I headed over to the Twin Rocks Cafe for some breakfast and then up to the Bluff Cemetary, where I found the grave sites of some of the original pioneers.

Before heading home, I stopped at the Bluff Fort again. This time while they were open.

This was definitely a trip to remember!
    Randy Langstraat

Just awesome. I love seeing your adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Just awesome. I love seeing your adventures.
    X2

I'm glad you all enjoy them....makes the work I put into them worth it :)

Thanks!
    Randy Langstraat

I have to add my sincere thanks for all the time to put this together. What a great set of pictures along with some history lessons and just plain "wow" factor. I just shared this with my family remembering looking out over some of this terrain from the hole-in-the-rock. Another great addition to this site!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Thanks so much for the great trip report. This trail is on my life list of things to do. Hopefully in the next few years I'll be able to plan a trip. This information will help a lot

First, excellent trip report, top notch.

Second, it looks like some of the jeeps on the trip weren't heavily modified. I'm wondering if you could give me some insight on how my mostly stock 09 Tacoma double cab TRD Off-Road would do on this road... at first i thought no way but maybe??? If not, what mods would be the must do's to be properly equipped (lift, tires, etc).

For reference, here's a pic of me taking it on the other side of Hole-in-the-Rock earlier this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images