Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hole-in-the-Rock Adventure 2010

Hole-in-the-Rock Adventure 2010

Thursday, April 8, 2010 | Day 1

Late last year I finally decided to put together a trip that has been on my to-do list for way to long. I needed to finish driving the Hole-in-the-Rock Expedition (San Juan Mission) Route by driving the Hole-in-the-Rock Trail. I had driven pretty much all of the other sections of the route that are drivable except for this one. This was planned as a three day trip so that we could take our time and also get in some hiking along the trail. My adventure started on Thursday, which was the day before we were supposed to meet at the trail. I wanted to take my time driving to the trail near Hall's Crossing and also make a few stops along the way.

After stopping at Back of Beyond Books in Moab and filling up my gas tank in Blanding, I set off west on UT-95. Of course I had to stop at 'Salvation Knoll' since it was an important landmark to George Hobbs and the Hole-in-the-Rock Expedition.

From Salvation Knoll I made my way further west to my first trail of the trip. On my maps, I noticed there was a segment of the Hole-in-the-Rock trail that I had not driven that connected UT-95 and UT-276. After some research into the route, I found that it is still a valid route that is open to motorized travel, so I figured I would give it a try.

When I reached the turnoff from the highway, I was greeted with a well maintained county road. The sign even marked it as part of the Mormon Trail

After a mile or two of the easy pretty well maintained road, it got a little rougher and crossed some slickrock sections

Eventually I reached a large section of slickrock that dropped off into a small canyon. I didn't immediately find a way down, so I parked the Jeep and hiked around for a while until I picked up the trail again. From this point on, the well maintained county road was left behind and the much rougher and narrower trail continued. It was hard to follow in many places and required that I hike ahead first, but there were enough signs along the way to reassure myself that I was on the right track.

Marker along the route indicating this was part of the Hole-in-the-Rock Expedition

Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dropping down

Dripping Springs Canyon with more markers

After using my navigations skills to keep on track, I eventually reached UT-276 and was back on the pavement again. Here is the route I drove, marked in blue.

My next destination was to take the Clay Hills Crossing Road all the way to the San Juan River. During the original expedition, there was a side reconnaissance this direction over the Whirlwind Bench to the Clay Crossing. This is an easy maintained county road that is used as a take-out by rafters on the San Juan. While the road is not difficult, the scenery along the Red House Cliffs is nice.

This was a nice high-speed road, so I was back at the highway in no time ;)

My next stop was along the highway at the plaque marking Clay Hill Pass. This was another major obstacle for the original expedition, which spent eight days building a road down to the bottom for their wagons.

Randy Langstraat

A little further down the highway, I made yet another stop. This time it was to check out the Castle Ruin. George Hobbs of the Hole-in-the-Rock Expedition spoke of these 'Cliff Dweller' ruins in his account of the trip.

Randy Langstraat

After my visit to Castle Ruin, I made my way to Hall's Crossing where I met a few people from our group at the campground. I was not planning on camping there, I so made my way over to Cal Black Airport and fueled up before heading to Lake Canyon.

Navajo Mountain in the distance

On my way to Lake Canyon, I got to check out some of the old wagon tracks from the expedition which had carved grooves into the slickrock.

Deep wagon tracks

When I reached the East Fork of Lake Canyon, I met up with Dave, Rob and Jared and we headed out to the washout of the Lake Canyon portion of the trail.

The original Hole-in-the-Rock Jeep Trail used to drop into Lake Canyon and then cross to the other side. A few years ago, the sand that fills the canyon (remnants of Lake Pagahrit) where the trail crossed the canyon was washed out by flash flooding. The lighting wasn't ideal, but you can see the washout of the sand in the bottom of the canyon below.

From the washout, we headed back up canyon a little ways and setup camp for the night. It was a great start to a great trip!

Stay tuned for photos from the next four days.....I took a lot of pictures and it's going to take some time for me to go through them all!
    Randy Langstraat

Very cool stuff! Quite an adventure - I like the way you make "theme" trips. Looking forward to more!

That took some work putting that all together for us. Thanks....it was great! Looking forward to more of your photos.
    "You're not lost...if you don't care where you are"
    Grand Gulch /Cedar Mesa Rock Art Hats

To learn more about the ruins of SE Utah:
    Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Re: Hole-in-the-Rock Adventure 2010

Thx for the report and pics. looking forward to more.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
    Chere'

Great trip report, as usual. I really appreciate the information you provide, hopefully I'll get to do some of these trails.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Great report and pics. Can't wait to see more.
    Would love to do this by myself.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    This is cool, thanks for posting your report, it is well done.

Nice report. Looking forward to more!

We just did the other half of this same trip. We drove through Comb wash and then hiked over the Comb on the San Juan Hill trial that the pioneers built. I couldn't believe they could get wagons over this kind of terrain. Thanks for the report.
    We must go forward, even if we can't!

Friday, April 9, 2010 | Day 2

After a cool night in Lake Canyon we were up early and broke down camp. Before heading out, Jared and I went for a hike up Lake Canyon to warm up. When we made it back to camp, we headed back out of Lake Canyon and headed towards the Nokai Dome shortcut which would take us to the Halftrack Junction.

Passed this along the way

Stopped at Halftrack Junction

When we reached the junction, we made contact with the rest of the group who were headed up the trail behind us. We continued on, knowing they would catch us soon enough.

and they did...

However, shortly after joining the rest of the group, our small group left the main group again and headed the other direction. We went down the old trail and back to the washed out section in Lake Canyon for a different perspective.

The washout in Lake Canyon from above

Lake Canyon and the Henry Mountains
    Randy Langstraat

After some lunch, we were back on the trail again. After crossing through Death Valley, we were soon approaching Grey Mesa. First we passed the old wagon track that the Hole-in-the-Rock pioneers had used to get their wagons down off of Grey Mesa.

Narrow and steep

We would not be heading up this way. Instead we would be climbing up onto Grey Mesa via an old rough trail blasted into the slickrock by prospectors.

Randy Langstraat

Once on the mesa, we were greeted with a few miles of smoother roads, which was a welcome relief from the miles of broken and bumpy slickrock we had just crossed.

Views of the Great Bend of the San Juan River from above
    Randy Langstraat

Once we headed off the mesa on the other side, we were traveling on slickrock once again.

Headed down 'The Chute'

Shortly before sunset we finally reached the end of the trail. It was a long day of driving.

Dave and I setup camp away from the rest of the larger group, had some dinner and went to bed early.

It was definitely a long day behind the wheel, but it was also a lot of fun. Here's a couple action shots of me...

Getting a little air under the rear tire. Taken by Alex.

The following two pictures were taken by Dave on the way back to the washout in Lake Canyon

Stay tuned for day's 3-5!
    Randy Langstraat

good trip, how are you liking the wheel base in the 4 door?
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    X2

Friday, April 10, 2010 | Day 3

After a near perfect night camping, we were up early again so that Dave and I could hike down to Cottonwood Hill from the end of the 4x4 trail. On our way down we passed a number of grooves carved into the rock from the cables used to drag the wagons up the hills.

View of Aladdin's Lamp along the way.

The Hole-in-the-Rock in the distance, beyond Lake Powell. Cottonwood Canyon below.

The trail down into Cottonwood Canyon. This is where we stopped and turned around.

Nice scenery along the way

Another trail marker

You can see the trail cut up the side of Cottonwood Hill. The hike back up was not as easy as it was on the way down.

The Hole-in-the-Rock in the distance.
    Randy Langstraat