Thread: Jet Boil Stoves

Jet Boil Stoves

Does anyone have experience with Jet Boil stove systems? We never cook while camping, because I have this big heavy crappy stove that takes forever to just warm up a few hot dogs. This past weekend a friend showed me his Jet Boil, and all the many things he cooks with it. Said it was super convenient, easy clean up, lots of things he can make, and he brings it everywhere because it is so small and self contained. I have done a little research, and I think I will pick one up, but thought I would see what people have to say about them.

It is always at least my wife and I, and often with a bit larger of a group (though not more than 6 or so total), so I am wondering if I should get the group cooking system that has the pot, just stick with the personal that is slightly smaller and apparently cooks faster, or just spring for both the group cooking system and adding the companion cup for the best of both worlds...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

it's the ultimate in quick and easy, but it's heavy for it's size. i've had to repair mine 3 times now, and have finally given up on it (broken ignitions). by the way, the group cooking system requires a pot holder too, which is annoying. i have that as well, and it cooks fast. just weird you have to pop another piece in. and they are expensive. that said, if you take care of it, you will love it. the jetboil is probably the most popular backpacking stove available right now, however.

other options are a pocket rocket, which are inexpensive and light, and then get an evernew titanium pot, build a homemade cozy, and you are in business, and lighter than a jetboil.

however, i've moved to an alcohol stove now for weight and convenience.
    Last edited by CarpeyBiggs; 04-13-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks for the feedback. Decided to use a coupon and refund to buy the Jetboil Flash from REI. I guess if I have problems or dont like it I can always return it...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

I love mine. Yes the igniter is not reliable but I've never had much luck with those piezo-things in general. I've also found it to be one of the best backpacking stoves with respect to low heat simmering. It's pretty efficient on fuel too. I once made one of the small (4oz?) canisters last for 3 nights/breakfasts for 3 people but it was touch and go as to whether my wife would divorce me if I didn't get coffee made on that last morning!

I used to use one of those multi-fuel MSRs but I don't like carrying liquid fuel. As long as you don't ever need to burn something like kerosene (e.g. buying fuel in some remote foreign country) I don't think the multi-fuel is much of an advantage.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    ...I used to use one of those multi-fuel MSRs but I don't like carrying liquid fuel. As long as you don't ever need to burn something like kerosene (e.g. buying fuel in some remote foreign country) I don't think the multi-fuel is much of an advantage.
    And the first time you sleep in a sleeping bag still damp with your fuel you're likely to buy a pocket rocket when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    And the first time you sleep in a sleeping bag still damp with your fuel you're likely to buy a pocket rocket when you get back.
    I never had it quite that bad, but I did have to hike for a few days with the smell of fuel on my clothes. Kinda makes you sick. And it seems that no matter what I did some fuel would leak when driving to a trailhead that had a big elevation difference, which is all of them from my house at the coast.

But in Peru when I was there in the late 80's you couldn't count on finding white gas or butane canisters so I had that so I could burn Kerosene. It was a trip buying it from some Peruvian woman in a market who had a giant barrel of kerosene and would ladle it out for you.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Alright - now that I haver ordered it, what do you guys cook with these things? I am new to cooking with boiling water. Are people big on the pre made kinda pricey just add water meals? Or do you have some favorite things of your own?

My friend was saying that he likes to throw a couple eggs, chopped ham, peppers, mushrooms, whatever, into a ziplock and drop it in the jetboil for a few minutes, and then he has a nice fresh self contained omelet with no mess or clean up. Definitely gonna give that a try, but am wondering what other tricks people have out there...

Really depends on how many days and how heavy/light you are willing to go. I've done it both ways. Pesto pasta with shrimp (put in my pack frozen and thawed that night), Ramen noodles augmented with egg and mushrooms or freeze dried pre-packaged and eating out of the pouch. The first backpacking trip we took my son on he wasn't walking yet. It was an overnighter and I had fancy food and a bottle of wine. In Buckskin Gulch we pared down to the essentials...

Yeah, depends. When you're sharing a pot the meal-in-a-bag option can be handy, but for a longer trip they're pricey. Try some things at home (on the porch, don't run that stove indoors) and see what turns out and what you like. You can do alot with one pot. I'm going to spend some time on those links Dan posted...

I figure the dehydrated meals may be a little pricey, but really convenient, and I don't spend that many days out there cooking expensive meals. I cook one (2 serving) up at dinner, eat half, leave it in the bag (most of my trips are in the shoulder season, so they stay cool overnight) then eat the rest for breakfast or lunch. Only one spoon to clean. No muss, no fuss. And really, the good ones are pretty darn healthy. Lots of veg options for us veggie folk, too.

If there's one thing I hate to do when backpacking, it's wash dishes. Even car camping - I hate it. Hate, hate, hate. The easier and cleaner, the better. I need to look into the boiling water proof zip-loc bags - for making my own meals. Like the Freezer Bag Cooking in Dan's second link, but I've seen others use these great, even tougher bags. Pour in boiling water, let it sit for 10 minutes, et voila - a full meal with no cleaning.
    Last edited by Cirrus2000; 04-14-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Mostly we do car camping, and usually space/weight is no issue at all. I wanted a jet boil for convenience and mess as compared to a bigger crappy stove. I think I will also play around with the zip lock bag methods, I like how easy and mess free that seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    I need to look into the boiling water proof zip-loc bags - for making my own meals. Like the Freezer Bag Cooking in Dan's second link, but I've seen others use these great, even tougher bags. Pour in boiling water, let it sit for 10 minutes, et voila - a full meal with no cleaning.
    What are these tougher bags? Will it work using regular ziplocks, putting food in them and putting the whole bag in the water, or pouring the boiling water right in to the ziplock?

I haven't really had a look for them yet - somebody with whom I was in Death Hollow last fall had them. Specialized backpacking food-grade bags, made for pouring boiling water into. Must research... It does sound like the freezer bags are good for "almost boiling" water (according to the trailcooking.com site).

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    I haven't really had a look for them yet - somebody with whom I was in Death Hollow last fall had them. Specialized backpacking food-grade bags, made for pouring boiling water into. Must research... It does sound like the freezer bags are good for "almost boiling" water (according to the trailcooking.com site).
    I use the vacuum seal pouches for full on boiling water, also build a cozy to go around your bags to help keep the temp up and rehydrate your stuff faster (plus it makes it easy to hold the food when you are eating it).

My normal backpacking fare is no cook stuff for breakfast and lunch - nuts and dried fruit and Breakfast bars, or some other protein bar ( remove from wrapper at home and put into 1 zip-lock) and dinner is -- Potato crap (Fake Mashed potatoes, powdered milk, real butter, Bacon bits (real), Parm cheese and some herbs..) it is actually pretty good and sends you to sleep with a full stomach of carbs to keep you warm all night long. I will usually have some Thompsons Smokehouse beef Jerky with this.

I have also moved to a Aluminum beer bottle Alcohol stove and a Heineken can for my cooking needs - Cold weather I break out the old multi fuel stove though
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"