Thread: The World Would Be Better If Everyone Watched This Video

The World Would Be Better If Everyone Watched This Video

gizmodo.com — If every person on our blue Earth watched this video, the world would be a much better place. At least for a few minutes. Listen closely to Carl Sagan's words till the end. It won't fail to get you teary.

Wow, great video.

http://gizmodo.com/5513783/the-world...hed-this-video
    Last edited by accadacca; 04-12-2010 at 03:43 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I liked this paragraph (dang, I didn't cry but it was interesting):

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. It underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the only home we've ever known.
    Life is Good

Great video. I liked what you quoted Scott. I wonder how many folks would like the line preceding it, however...

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves."

In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
    Scientifically and narrowly speaking, it can be argued that he is right. However...... (no time to go there tonight, "there" being the order in the universe, the order in this planet, life itself, my beliefs, etc. etc. pointing to a God.)
    Life is Good

fantastic.

people's capacity for self aggrandizement and vanity has always disgusted me, whether it be small or large. humility and an open mind are scarce in my experience.

but on a lighter note, sounds like somebody needs to read their bible...
    signature

Name:  =agent-smith..jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  30.1 KB

Mister Anderson.... Your fake life is of no importance.

Quote Originally Posted by the_article
    It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. It underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the only home we've ever known.""
    Quote Originally Posted by the_article
    On the scale of worlds, humans are inconsequential: a thin film of life on an obscure and solitary lump of rock and metal.

I agree with the facts presented but would draw a different conclusion entirely given the evidence. If we are insignificant "specks" in a vast universe, why even care? Without the religious aspect involved, we are simply complicated bacteria fighting with each other for space and resources, may the strongest prevail. Look into any test tube and you can see this represented a million times over. If no one is coming to save us, then the logical course of action seems to save yourself and screw everyone else. It makes no sense at all to trust your fate in the next person, when obviously they are going to put their needs above your own. I would rather be squarely in charge of mine own destiny.

The only reason to treat each other with kindness and empathy would be because we ARE special and unique and deserving of value. Perhaps we are more significant than some inconsequential speck of dust floating in the cosmos and that should be preserved? Playing down the value of our existence only plays down the value of our lives and further downplays the importance of being kind and nice to each other.

I see where they are going with the "you are nobody special, so put other peoples needs in higher value" message. I just don't agree with it. I think it should be "we are all unique and special in this universe, so lets preserve this wonderful life we have been granted" instead. Too picky maybe.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

I Love Carl Sagan. For me, it was Contact that asked the questions first, but it was Demon Haunted World that led me to seriously question the whole concept of god and people claiming to have his words.

And Jake, I may have missed your point but it seemed to be all over the place.
    Somehow, without god looking over your shoulder, altruism is a concept beyond comprehension? The only reason to be a good person is hope for reward or fear of reprisal?
    And yet somehow, with god watching over your shoulder, you are squarely in charge of your own destiny?

I get what you

One of my favorite things Carl Sagan wrote:

The Dragon In My Garage
    by Carl Sagan

"A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage"
    [FONT=&quot]Suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Somehow, without god looking over your shoulder, altruism is a concept beyond comprehension? The only reason to be a good person is hope for reward or fear of reprisal?
    And yet somehow, with god watching over your shoulder, you are squarely in charge of your own destiny?

and i love the other sagan stuff too ! more thought, less superstition.
    signature