Thread: Overnight campout

Overnight campout

I am looking for a place right around utah county for this week to do a campout. I am looking for only one night but i want something that is a fun hike in and out. close to utah county and something thats a little more challenging not because of the incline but cause of canyon manuvering or something like that just something super fun. also i have heard a lot about San Rafael whats some more info on that?? (location, activities, etc.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

How far are you willing to travel?
    Do you have a high clearance vehicle?
    Backpacking or car camping with day hikes?

i will travel up to an hour at the most from provo and i have a ford ranger to to high but decent and i want to hike in a little bit (less then .5 miles) and camp but i want a place that has some amazing short hikes that are like what i described above sorta challenging with manuvers and canyons etc. help me out.

ummmm, wow. I am drawing a blank unless you like snow. At least is you could go two hours then you have options
    Life is Good

well i have already done some around here with out snow and i raelized and accept there will be some snow but also i can go a little over an hour but i dont want to go forever for only two days

I suggest you go to Diamond fork canyon. Hike the 2 miles in and camp near fifth water hot springs.. more hikes are in the area but it is a great place..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Yeah- with those kind of restrictions, Diamond Fork is about the best you're gonna get.

if you don't like the idea of Diamond fork I would suggest that you head up rock canyon there in provo.. tons of places to hike to and explore up there. gonna be a longer hike in to camp than .5 miles though.. or head over to the mountains south of 5 mile pass... find something interesting like an old mine to hike to and explore. Heck half of my trips end up being things I have found surfing google earth and saying.. hey that looks cool :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by jameson View Post
    i will travel up to an hour at the most from provo and i have a ford ranger to to high but decent and i want to hike in a little bit (less then .5 miles) and camp but i want a place that has some amazing short hikes that are like what i described above sorta challenging with manuvers and canyons etc. help me out.

Not sure where you have been hiking but everything at higher elevations is still covered in snow. What you are describing is some sort of non-tech slot canyon but you unwilling to drive the 2-3 hours to get down to the swell or capitol reef.

You may want to visit Maple Canyon near Fountain green (about 1 hour from Provo). If the road is clear of snow you should be able to drive up above the campground and find some decent campsites. I would suggest hiking the loop from the middle fork past the arch and over to the right fork, also box canyon near the mouth of maple is worth checking out.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    summit you of all people should know you are not allowed to camp there unless you plan on rock climbing

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    summit you of all people should know you are not allowed to camp there unless you plan on rock climbing
    stupid climbers.....

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    if you don't like the idea of Diamond fork I would suggest that you head up rock canyon there in provo.. tons of places to hike to and explore up there. gonna be a longer hike in to camp than .5 miles though.. or head over to the mountains south of 5 mile pass... find something interesting like an old mine to hike to and explore. Heck half of my trips end up being things I have found surfing google earth and saying.. hey that looks cool :)
    I love Rock Canyon. But I would be more than a little concerned with avalanche danger right now with all the new snow. I know of at least two people killed up there in the spring due to avalanches. Careful up there. One avalanche I heard of was pretty close to the gate at Devil's Kitchen (where all the climbing goes on).
    Life is Good

You could camp at willow park. just park a half a mile away and hike in. To make it fun you could dodge cars on the way there.

I don't have any other cool ideas to contribute.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I love Rock Canyon. But I would be more than a little concerned with avalanche danger right now with all the new snow. I know of at least two people killed up there in the spring due to avalanches. Careful up there. One avalanche I heard of was pretty close to the gate at Devil's Kitchen (where all the climbing goes on).
    you have a point there. I am at a loss of ideas with only a .5 mile hike.. so many other cool places I could point you to at 3-4 miles

I think Maple Canyon fits your requirements for sure. Box canyon is really cool, has lots of scrambling over rocks and sometimes has fixed ropes for the steep spots (be careful trusting a rope you can't inspect before using). Lots of really cool hikes all around. Might be a lot of snow? Might not, I really don't know. Make sure you give a report on how much snow is there if you go, I'm itching to go climbing down there. Here is a link to a topo map with trails and Box Canyon marked for you.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.55558,-111.68572&z=15&t=T

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125 View Post
    I think Maple Canyon fits your requirements for sure. Box canyon is really cool, has lots of scrambling over rocks and sometimes has fixed ropes for the steep spots (be careful trusting a rope you can't inspect before using). Lots of really cool hikes all around. Might be a lot of snow? Might not, I really don't know. Make sure you give a report on how much snow is there if you go, I'm itching to go climbing down there. Here is a link to a topo map with trails and Box Canyon marked for you.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.55558,-111.68572&z=15&t=T
    I think that is the lowest elevation place (less snow) and one that closely fits your requests. Like Shaggy said, Please post if you go.
    Life is Good