View Poll Results: What is your favorite canyon in Zion?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mystery

3 12.50%
  • Pine

3 12.50%
  • Imlay

4 16.67%
  • Heaps

6 25.00%
  • Kolob

2 8.33%
  • Subway

0 0%
  • Boundary

0 0%
  • Behunin

0 0%
  • Other

4 16.67%
  • It's a secret. If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

2 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Canyon in Zion

Favorite Canyon in Zion

Just for fun and curiosity. What is your favorite canyon in Zion?

I know. Apples and oranges and unfortunately, the poll option only allows for 10 choices.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Eye Of The Needle.

Spry

...and Birch, Pine Creek, Orderville, Echo, Keyhole, Subway.

I would like to do Engelstead next.

(as in next year )
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Yeah, too bad there are only 10 choices. Could have listed Spry, Icebox, Birch, Engelstead, Fat Man's, etc.

So far, I think I like Spry the best. Sort of like Pine Creek, but longer and better and less crowded. Sort of like Mystery, but without all the hoopla.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    the poll option only allows for 10 choices.
    And you wasted one of them on Behunin?!?!?

My Favorite Canyon
    A Day in the Life of a Canyoneer
    http://climb-utah.com/Misc/favorite.htm

Not being a smartass.... but usually the last canyon I did is my favorite....

Heaps.

But for groups of varying skill level, I have several favorite. I also have canyons I don't mind doing anytime. Also, who I am with makes a big difference.

But as far as my personal favorite and looking at canyon only, Heaps without question. Either way you approach Heaps, the views are spectacular, the canyon is crazy good and hard, and the final sequence of raps is breath taking to say the least. That one pushed me to my limit the first time when we did it as an overnighter. That was fun but I won't do that again. Too much stuff. And with Heaps, the intensity builds as the day goes on. Fatigue builds too. Heaps for me the first time was a true mental game.
    Life is Good

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    other as in the next canyon I'm doing or last canyon I've done. There are a few places worthy of repeats that I'll always jump at. Right now I'm getting into canyons not on the permit reservation list or unknown at the backcountry desk.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    Right now I'm getting into canyons not on the permit reservation list or unknown at the backcountry desk.
    It's sad that the backcountry permit system has created a "secret society" in regards to canyons inside the park. I can't see how this system helps the park in any way, shape, or form in the long run....

But I certainly don't blame the Zion canyoneers.... tell the park about your new really cool canyon and next week it's on the permit list and you can't visit the route....

I would have to say Spry since i've done like 3 times but the Maze in Red Rock is a close seconded
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    But I certainly don't blame the Zion canyoneers.... tell the park about your new really cool canyon and next week it's on the permit list and you can't visit the route....
    Oh I agree about not telling the park about said canyons. I think it was Ram that posted if you feel obliged to get a permit, get the "Other canyon" permit. If quized provide vague details, maps says rap length X ft/m and that your permitted to have zero personality.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    Oh I agree about not telling the park about said canyons. I think it was Ram that posted if you feel obliged to get a permit, get the "Other canyon" permit. If quized provide vague details, maps says rap length X ft/m and that your permitted to have zero personality.
    I don't even go that far.... I just pick up an Ordeville, Narrows or Subway hiking permit.... nod my head when they ask questions and try hard to act like a dumb tourist.... one of those permits covers anything the Rangers will be checking and are usually pretty easy to snag... Let the rangers figure out I'm using the "optional" route....

The minute you put down "other" your going to get to play an entirely new game of name that tune.... much easier just to act dumb....

I don't even go that far.... I just pick up an Ordeville, Narrows or Subway hiking permit.... nod my head when they ask questions and try hard to act like a dumb tourist.... one of those permits covers anything the Rangers will be checking and are usually pretty easy to snag... Let the rangers figure out I'm using the "optional" route....

The minute you put down "other" your going to get to play an entirely new game of name that tune.... much easier just to act dumb....
    well thank you I'll go this when doing an optional route.

I don't know what you people are talking about. If it is not on the permit system, it doesn't exist... (and let's keep it that way - in other words, zip it.) In legal terms, you have the right to remain silent..... this is a situation where the warning would apply.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Pubalz View Post
    I would have to say Spry since i've done like 3 times but the Maze in Red Rock is a close seconded
    Doing the Maze on Wednesday. They just got about four inches of snow today up there so it should make for an exciting day!
    Bryan in Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I don't know what you people are talking about. If it is not on the permit system, it doesn't exist... (and let's keep it that way - in other words, zip it.) In legal terms, you have the right to remain silent..... this is a situation where the warning would apply.
    The problem is a lot of these "don't exist routes" exit through ranger patroled areas that do require a permit of some type....

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    The problem is a lot of these "don't exist routes" exit through ranger patroled areas that do require a permit of some type....
    Honest Mr. Ranger, we were in Orderville.......
    And yes we needed 600' of rope..........

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Honest Mr. Ranger, we were in Orderville.......
    And yes we needed 600' of rope..........
    Whatever you do, don't lie.

"what were you guys doing?"
    "enjoying a wonderful hike in the Park"
    "what CANYON were you guys doing?"
    "we WERE enjoying a wonderful hike in the Park"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

I like the way Tom thinks...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Whaaat.... you don't use 600' of rope in the north/north fork of the upper north fork of north Orderville?