Thread: Arscenic & Right Fork of Blarney

Arscenic & Right Fork of Blarney

Just got back from one of the best camping/canyoneering weekends in a LONG time. The weather was absolutely perfect, and the first night was the quietest most peaceful night, plenty of stars, and a beautiful campground.

In the morning I woke up, got to watch the sunrise and take lots of pictures. We got to the trailhead for Arscenic around 9 - the road out to the trailhead should be just fine for most passenger cars. It was my wife and I, with one adventurous beginner. The canyon took us 5 hours with tons of stopping for pictures and hanging out, and was absolutely fantastic. Great entry rappel, lots of fun downclimbs, and beautiful light in the narrows, leading to excellent pictures. Easy approach, and a short easy exit as well, with an awesome arch on the way out. Snow on the Henry's (I think they are the Henry's?) gave an excellent backdrop to the redrock and desert.

After that, we ran in to Hanksville to pick up a few things, came back, chased the cows away from our tent, and headed off to do something else. We have done the Left Fork of Blarney a few times, and heard mixed reviews of the Right Fork. Since we hadnt done it, and our partner had never done any canyons except for the one we did in the morning, we decided to check the Right Fork out. On the topo, it looks shorter, and from the top it didnt look particularly great, but once we got in, we loved it. I think I like the Right Fork better than the Left Fork. Very pretty, photogenic narrows, with some fun downclimbs. Car to car it was only 3 hours, so it is a great one to fill in the gaps of a day in the North Wash.

Neither canyon was challenging, but we had tons of fun, and they were both great to introduce someone new to canyoneering, and have a good time yourself. Straighforward rappels, good downclimbs, easy entrance/exit hikes, and lots of scenery. Both canyons were completely dry, and all the anchors were in good condition. That night we were back at our awesome campsite, and actually able to make tin foil dinners and smores, which I havent dont in a long while.

The next morning (this morning) we decided to hike in to actually check out Hog Springs, since I had never been farther than the pit toilets. It is kind of an ugly and boring hike in, but doesnt take too long, and the spring is excellent. Very deep and clear water, and seeing a little waterfall in a red rock setting like that was quite nice.

Lots of pictures to go through, but I will get some up when they are ready. Very nice weekend to be out...
    Last edited by Iceaxe; 04-26-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27 View Post
    Just got back from one of the best camping/canyoneering weekends in a LONG time. The weather was absolutely perfect, and the first night was the quietest most peaceful night, plenty of stars, and a beautiful campground.

Thanks for the TR Dwayne. Sounds GREAT! Spring is good!

Tom

I also enjoyed doing Arscenic. I like the Left Fork better, deeper, more challenging, but yes not as photogenice and the rock is redder.