Thread: Having trouble with linking/uploading photos

Having trouble with linking/uploading photos

I have a bunch of photos I need to upload or link. The original files are huge and so even though bogley 4.0 will resize them for me it takes too long to upload. Plus when I upload as an attachment I can't see how to rotate the image.

Then I thought I could use flickr and make a link. But when I preview that it shows the link as a "?" even though the photo is marked as visible to everyone.

What's the best way to upload/link a bunch of big files?
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't know the answer, but I've been having some problems trying to upload photos as well.

(Trying it, it looks like it works now, but didn't last night).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmmm, using a Flickr photo is working for me. What link are you using from Flickr? Like, where are you getting the photo location to paste in?

D'uh I figured it out. I was pasting a link to the *page* that held the pic vs. the static URL that *is* the pic. Do you know a trick to get flickr to give you that URL other than "view page source"?
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    D'uh I figured it out. I was pasting a link to the *page* that held the pic vs. the static URL that *is* the pic. Do you know a trick to get flickr to give you that URL other than "view page source"?
    Your first issue, you won't be able to rotate an image once it's already uploaded here. Then, the uploader will work, even if it takes a while. We limited it to 3 at a time just in case they were large files. You could try one at a time though.

With Flickr, depending on what browser you're using, if it's Firefox, you can right click on the image and "Copy Image Location". This will give you the jpg url. If you're using Internet Explorer, you can right click on the picture and select Properties, and then copy the address url, in Cirrus' example it's

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/3...4fbf96191a.jpg

Or the large size if you click "All Sizes"

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/166/3...bf96191a_o.jpg (see the _o added right before the end .jpg ? That's the difference)

So then... after you've got the url of the photo, go to the "Insert Image" icon and choose "from url". Paste it there. Here's a video if you'd like some extra explanation:

Last edited by Sombeech; 04-10-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Technically, as well, the rules on Flickr require that if you have your photo embedded, it must link to the photo page on Flickr (like with mine above). Dunno if you plan to go that far or not.

It's unfortunate, in Chrome it's much tougher to get the url to the pic. Firefox = much better.