Thread: Peek-a-boo & Spooky - ok for supervised (young) kids? Anything else fun for kids?

Peek-a-boo & Spooky - ok for supervised (young) kids? Anything else fun for kids?

I've not done any of these canyons because I usually do technical canyons.

I've seen pictures and the canyons look pretty cool - no big gains / drops.

I'm contemplating a trip down to Bryce Canyon area and could head over to that area I think on a side trip - I've got a 4 year old who loves to roam around (he loved playing around in Goblin Valley) and an 18-month old who thinks she's a 4-year old and also loves to roam around (with help, of course).

Tom's description says "scrambling up through easy 5th-class" - are those sections short enough to pass a toddler up to an adult who makes it up? If not, are they far enough from the beginning of it that we could just turn around at those points and still have fun?

I have a chest harness for the 4 year old I could put on him and haul him up, but I don't know how much fun that would be for him after a while :)

If I were to have 3 adults and these 2 kids, think this would be enjoyable? For the super narrow stuff we'd probably just stop and turn around unless the kids were really into it and it was obvious there was no danger to it. (The last thing I want is my kid growing up claustrophobic because daddy got him stuck in a canyon as a child)

If anyone has any other suggestions for fun stuff for young kids near Bryce this time of year, I'm all ears.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryebrye View Post
    I'm contemplating a trip down to Bryce Canyon area and could head over to that area I think on a side trip - I've got a 4 year old who loves to roam around (he loved playing around in Goblin Valley) and an 18-month old who thinks she's a 4-year old and also loves to roam around (with help, of course).

Tom's description says "scrambling up through easy 5th-class" - are those sections short enough to pass a toddler up to an adult who makes it up? If not, are they far enough from the beginning of it that we could just turn around at those points and still have fun?

I have a chest harness for the 4 year old I could put on him and haul him up, but I don't know how much fun that would be for him after a while :) If I were to have 3 adults and these 2 kids, think this would be enjoyable? For the super narrow stuff we'd probably just stop and turn around unless the kids were really into it and it was obvious there was no danger to it. (The last thing I want is my kid growing up claustrophobic because daddy got him stuck in a canyon as a child)

If anyone has any other suggestions for fun stuff for young kids near Bryce this time of year, I'm all ears.
    Absolutely a good time to be had by all.There's a bit of scrambling at the start of Peekaboo, but with 3 adults you should be able to hand the kids up. If it is wet you might just pass it up altogether. Spooky is way-fun. No problem with the kids getting stuck, perhaps for heftier adults this might be an issue.

There are occasional rattle snakes washed in there, so be sure to give the kids the "rattlesnake talk". Since they are cold, they are non-aggressive, but if the kids start playing with them, or step on them by mistake, there could be a problem.

It is a bit of a hike down to Brimstone. If you plan for it, it could work out, especially if Peekaboo is wet and thus not good for the kids. The main Dry Fork is a nice hike - about 20 feet wide the whole way, and it does take you into the shade quickly.

Tom

I've seen little kids like yours in there having a blast. Of course don't forget to spend time playing at Devil's Garden. If they liked Goblin they'll love that too. There's some good fun scrambling around Dance Hall Rock too. It's not hard to ascend to the top for some great views.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

We got the shaft in peek-a-boo but did hike spooky and the dry fork with our two and five year olds last fall.
    http://summit42.com/wp/escalante-october-2009