Thread: Things you don't want to see when in the great outdoors.

Things you don't want to see when in the great outdoors.

I've been off work for 2 1/2 months because of rotator cuff surgery. So to try and keep the rest of my body in shape, I've been doing walks, hikes, and some running. On Fridays I've decided to do a hike in the morning, because my wife does some volunteer work during that time. Anyway for the past two weeks, I've headed up to Butterfield Canyon. The gate is closed at the bottom, so I've been parking there, and then walking up as far as I can go in my time limit--this morning my limit was three hours, so I went up for an hour and a half and then came back down.
    Anyway, before I began my hike/walk as I pulled near the gate to park, I saw a truck parked there. That truck was the only vehicle there besides me. When I got out and began strapping on my pack, I noticed the truck seemed to be running, but I couldn't see anyone inside. I was a little suspicious, but since one of my cars has a fan that kicks on after I've been driving it for a while and shut it off, I thought this truck might have the same kind of thing--a fan that kicked on to cool things down. I almost went and looked in, but didn't.

So then I went on the 3 hour hike. When I came back, there were cops around, and one of them came and asked me some questions and told me that a guy had killed himself in the truck. I told the cop that I'd thought about looking inside because it sounded like it was running and the cop said, "Well, it's probably better that you didn't."

Anyway, that wasn't what I was expecting when I began my hike this morning and it has kind of stayed with me all day. Freaky.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    WOW! freaky indeed. Did they mention time of death, or cause of death? just curious.

It will stay with you for awhile. Suicides are horrible (obviously) but especially to the people who first come across it. When I was living in Indiana for awhile I was in Bloomington and going out of the student building at Indiana State University, and apparently a min or so after we walked out of it (it's a 9story building) a student jumped from the 7th floor due to ODing on pain pills and wanted to see if he could fly (that's what the witnesses said he was saying as he jumped). My friend and I walked out of the building and no more than 20 feet from the door, his body laid and was horribly mangled, and blood just everywhere... I had nightmares for many weeks after that - but sometimes it still haunts me to this day (6 years later).

I hope it didn't scar ya like it did me...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I hate to see garbage, probably like most people on this site. I always make it a point to pick up at least one piece of garbage every hike I go on(unfortunately I have not not been on a hike lacking trash)

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    WOW! freaky indeed. Did they mention time of death, or cause of death? just curious.

I hope it didn't scar ya like it did me...
    No time of death was mentioned. The cop said he got there about 40 minutes after I began my hike and found the body--but I don't know if he was dead before I started hiking--I assume so because I didn't see anyone in the vehicle. I'm also assuming a gun shot because of the cop saying that it was probably best that I hadn't looked inside. It stuck with me all day yesterday, but because I didn't actually see the guy dead in there, it will probably go away faster.

Quote Originally Posted by basilone0331 View Post
    I hate to see garbage, probably like most people on this site. I always make it a point to pick up at least one piece of garbage every hike I go on(unfortunately I have not not been on a hike lacking trash)
    What! I think I am missing something. Are you referring to the person as the trash?
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    What! I think I am missing something. Are you referring to the person as the trash?
    I think he is replying to the thread title without reading any of the previous content...not even the first post.

I had to help clean up after a suicide in our Lehi neighborhood several years ago. A teenage boy had shot himself in the head with a 30.06. His sister found him. Fortunately his single mother didn't see the aftermath. I was in the Young Mens organization in the Ward so they had 2 of us "volunteer" to clean. I still have nightmares. Thank heavens I never saw the body but cleaning the gore and gray matter off the wall was sickening.
    Are we there yet?

Yikes to the original story and double yikes to Tallsteve's post. I have done a ton outdoors and I have worked with a lot of young men and youth in general. I am glad I haven't had either of these two experiences.
    Life is Good

(sex in the woods) Tuesday was such a nice day that I cut class and went on a ride up Green Canyon in Logan. It was about 2 in the after noon when I started up the single track. Time I had made it to the top of the first single track there was a Tahoe parked by the gate. I stop under a tree there to take a breather. When I started to here a women screaming and not for help. I started up the short steep single track that takes you around the gate as I got to the top of the little hill she stop scream. As I kept ridding I saw them under a pine tree behind these very thin bushes, he was on top of her with his pants down underwear pulled up and she had no top on but was trying to cover her self with a sweatshirt, they were both trying to hide, but there was nowhere to hid. I was only about five feet from them, and I tried to act like I did not see them but you would have to be blind and deaf not to see them. That was a first for me, I don't want to see it again.
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.
    http://childbikingutah.blogspot.com/

Too sad.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5