Thread: Hiking And Exploring The Paria River - 5th Edition

Hiking And Exploring The Paria River - 5th Edition

Michael R. Kelsey

The 5th edition of Kelsey's book should be hitting the store shelves. The book is a whopping 384 pages, lots of color photograph's. New stuff on the Sand Hills/Paria Plateau, and White Pockets. Contains a history of Angora Goats (a totally forgotten animal in S. Utah).

I picked up a copy of the book last week and it looks really good. So far I've only thumbed through the book, but I like all the color. Looks like a typical Kelsey book in that it contains a massive amount of information shoe horned into a small space. The book contains both technical routes and hiking routes.

Name:  paria..jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  69.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Michael R. Kelsey

Looks like a typical Kelsey book in that it contains a massive amount of information shoe horned into a small space. The book contains both technical routes and hiking routes.
    Thanks for the heads-up. I assume everything is in meters and incluceds those "maps" that I have yet to figure out. I swear, I have to meet Mr. Kelsey one day and have him explain those things to me. But, I admit it, I own most of his canyoneering books despite the fact that I can't understand half of his directions.
    Life is Good

Typical MK book... Metric spoken here.... Don't blame me... foto's......

His books are quirky, but they do conatin a lot of information. If you like MK's books you will like this one, if you don't like his books don't bother buying this one....

The book is printed on high-grade paper and does contain a lot of color, looks like more than any of his previous books.

Typical MK book... Metric spoken here.... Don't blame me... foto's......
    ....G Pick....WR&QL....It took me 2 hours but will probably take you 14....Down with Israel.....etc.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    ......Down with Israel.....etc.
    Oh ya. Thanks for the reminder. Add that to the questions list when I meet him.
    Life is Good

Including: The story of John D Lee and the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

Oh, OK, good. Finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post

Oh, OK, good. Finally.
    Ain't goin' there today....
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    FWIW: I read this book a couple years ago an thought it did a good job of covering the Mountian Mesadows Massacre in manner that was fair to both sides.

Massacre at Mountain Meadows
    http://www.amazon.com/Massacre-Mount...d_sim_b_5#noop

I've read several books on the subject but thought this one was the best.

Name:  massacre%20at%20m&#11.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  25.7 KB

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Michael R. Kelsey

The 5th edition of Kelsey's book should be hitting the store shelves. The book is a whopping 384 pages, lots of color photograph's. New stuff on the Sand Hills/Paria Plateau, and White Pockets. Contains a history of Angora Goats (a totally forgotten animal in S. Utah).

I picked up a copy of the book last week and it looks really good. So far I've only thumbed through the book, but I like all the color. Looks like a typical Kelsey book in that it contains a massive amount of information shoe horned into a small space. The book contains both technical routes and hiking routes.

Name:  paria..jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  69.9 KB
    Those who enjoy this book might also like this one:

http://5z8.info/PIN-phisher_w5y9i__init_download

T

FWIW: I read this book a couple years ago an thought it did a good job of covering the Mountian Mesadows Massacre in manner that was fair to both sides.

Massacre at Mountain Meadows
    http://www.amazon.com/Massacre-Mount...d_sim_b_5#noop

I've read several books on the subject but thought this one was the best.

Name:  massacre%20at%20m&#11.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  25.7 KB
    Written by faithful mormons, and wasn't one of the three an historian for the church for awhile? I'm glad you brought this up I heard these guys on Radio West but never got around to reading it. I'm interested to read their perspective. (Good price for used on Amazon!)

I read this one;
    http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Prophets...ref=pd_sim_b_3
    But Will Bagely, while knowledgeable, does seem to come off as biased against the church.

I like the link (and the link text), Tom.

I wondered how many replies it would take. Three. The answer is three replies. To get to the anti-semitism: 3 replies, which is actually more than I expected. I thought we'd be there by the second reply. I didn't expect the Mountain Meadows Tragic Misunderstanding to come up, though - that was out of left field for me.

FWIW, to me, metric = good, "fotos" = bad, and anti-semitism = I'm not buying another Kelsey book.

Don: I've been meaning to say - like your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    FWIW, to me, metric = good, "fotos" = bad, and anti-semitism = I'm not buying another Kelsey book.

Don: I've been meaning to say - like your sig.

'metric = good' Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Silly Canadian, you're part of America too.

Also, my SIG?
    Name:  sig_Sp2022..jpg
Views: 677
Size:  30.4 KB

Oh, no, my signature. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    I like the link (and the link text), Tom.

I wondered how many replies it would take. Three. The answer is three replies. To get to the anti-semitism: 3 replies, which is actually more than I expected. I thought we'd be there by the second reply. I didn't expect the Mountain Meadows Tragic Misunderstanding to come up, though - that was out of left field for me.
    I held off as long as I could stand, AND it's been a busy day.

T = MOSES, get it?

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    T = MOSES, get it?
    Nice.
    Life is Good

Tom, when was that 'Elders' book published initially.
    bruce from bryce

'I used to work for the government; but I was not part of the problem'

Quote Originally Posted by bruce from bryce View Post
    Tom, when was that 'Elders' book published initially.
    Amazon.com, April 6, 2000 Review

Although it's a pernicious fraud, The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion has unfortunately had a widespread influence--all of it evil--on the history of the 20th century. It was exposed as a hoax in 1921, yet it has been used as a justification for the Holocaust and for innumerable pogroms in Russia and the Soviet Union.

The Protocols was supposedly written in 1897 from the minutes of 24 secret meetings between Jews and Freemasons in which they conspired to bring down Western civilization and jointly rule the world. In reality, it is nothing of the sort. In 1921, Philip Graves of the London Times revealed The Protocols to be a fraud, showing it to be based on a French satire aimed at Napoleon III. In a series of side-by-side extracts printed in the Times, Graves demonstrated that the forgers took long portions of the original text, titled Dialogues in Hell Between Machiavelli and Montesquieu, and simply replaced "France" with "Zion" and "The Emperor" with "We the Jews." Further investigations by the Russian historian Vladimir Burtsev revealed other sources for The Protocols, including a fantasy novel by Hermann Goedsche and, more darkly, the hand of the Russian secret police.

Sadly, despite its clearly fraudulent nature, The Protocols continues today to feed the fears of the credulous and to fan the flames of fanaticism and hate. --Perry M. Atterberry

From Amazon.com Please note that Amazon.com does not endorse the views expressed in this book or those in the publisher's book description below. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Amazon.com Review

A Message from the Anti-Defamation League
    The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, circulated by the Czarist secret police at the turn of the 20th century, is plainly and simply a plagiarized forgery. "The Protocols" has been a major weapon in the arsenals of anti-Semites around the world, republished and circulated by individuals, hate groups and governments to convince the gullible as well as the bigoted that Jews have schemed and plotted to take over the world.