Thread: San juan

San juan

I will be backpacking thru coyote gulch area and wondering if the northern san juan river by escalante held some worthwhile fish. I wanted to bring my fly rod, what do you think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The last time I checked, the San Juan entered into the south side of Lake Powell, while the Escalante entered into the north side of the lake. I have no idea what kind of fish the lower San Juan has, but it looks to me like 2 separate trips...

In other news, there are trout in some of the streams in the Escalante area.

Can't say from personal experience, but there are supposedly some nice browns out there. Good luck if you go. The vegetation on the bank might force you to stay in the water, so bring some waders.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

It is the escalante river I am sorry. I guess I will bring my fly rod and give it a try, can't hurt. Just want to backpack ad get soem fish time in.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I've heard there is fish where Escalante and San Juan meet, aka Lake Powell.

There are trout in calf creek. I'm sure there are some downstream from there. I'm just not sure how far down.

Calf Creek and Death Hollow (and sometimes even the far upper end of the Escalante) have some trout, but you would be better off fishing the lakes on the lower slopes of Boulder Mountain if you want to fish. Some of the lakes on the south side of Boulder Mountain aren't far from Escalante.

Ditto on what Scott said. Lower Bowns always has a nice supply of trout in it.
    livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH