Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Essential equipment for Mystery Canyon

Essential equipment for Mystery Canyon

Everyone knows about the ropes, helmets, carabiners, etc.. However, I think there's some essential equipment that's often overlooked for an intrepid group of canyoneers hoping to descend Zion's Mystery Canyon:

1. Prescription sleeping pills
    2. Folding camp chair
    3. eBook reader with backlight, or paperback and flashlight.
    4. iPod
    5. Thermos containing caffeinated beverage
    6. Sense of resignation
    7. Friends willing to do shifts
    8. Sense of humour for when you get that, "We are sorry Sarah, but you were not selected in the lottery for the Mystery Canyon Resource Area in Zion National Park." email.

Anything I missed?

2am - I'll be there from 2am, mark my words.

muttering and trying to look on the bright side

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I hear you. How ignorant was I waiting for the online system to open up Mystery to June reservations this morning? It came up 99% percent red.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlizzy View Post
    Everyone knows about the ropes, helmets, carabiners, etc.. However, I think there's some essential equipment that's often overlooked for an intrepid group of canyoneers hoping to descend Zion's Mystery Canyon:

2. Folding camp chair
    4. iPod
    6. Sense of resignation
    8. Sense of humour for when you get that, "We are sorry Sarah, but you were not selected in the lottery for the Mystery Canyon Resource Area in Zion National Park." email.
    Anything I missed?

This is one of the finest posts of the year. Winter kinda tempers my anger at the permit system. I appreciated the list. I have a history with Zion Park and "the System" We all feel your pain.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by shagdeuce View Post
    I hear you. How ignorant was I waiting for the online system to open up Mystery to June reservations this morning? It came up 99% percent red.
    I know what you mean, i did the same thing this morning
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

Blog Entries
    do you guys all have zion express permits? Getting one of those saves some time and allows you to print your permits. anywho, in the end, It would be great if Zion would increase their permit allowance for canyons....if only......
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

2. Folding camp chair
    4. iPod
    6. Sense of resignation

Anything I missed?

ANY comforts that are akin to 'camping' are prohibited at the permit window. Folding camp chairs - nope, gotta sit on the cold rock wall. no sleeping bags allowed.

Sorry...

Tom

Ya i have the Zion express premits its the way to go
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

when did they stop letting you use chairs?
    bruce from bryce

'I used to work for the government; but I was not part of the problem'

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce from bryce View Post
    when did they stop letting you use chairs?
    Any items of comfort make it "camping", which is illegal in that location.

C'mon Bruce, you worked for em. you know how they work...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Any items of comfort make it "camping", which is illegal in that location.

C'mon Bruce, you worked for em. you know how they work...

Tom
    I wonder if you rolled up in a borrowed wheel chair if they would give you any grief? Hmmmmm..... Stupid system...
    Life is Good

1. Sense of humour for when you get that, "We are sorry Sarah, but you were not selected in the lottery for the Mystery Canyon Resource Area in Zion National Park." email.
    Hey, I got that same email, followed by one that said "We are sorry Chris, but you were not selected in the lottery for the The Subway Resource Area in Zion National Park.

The worst thing about Mystery is that's a tough sucker to poach... most the other noobie friendly trade routes are easy.

Not that a goodie two shoes like me would ever do such a thing.... just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide View Post
    Hey, I got that same email, followed by one that said "We are sorry Chris, but you were not selected in the lottery for the The Subway Resource Area in Zion National Park.
    Ow. Your pain is double mine :-(

So, that long dark wait outside the window - how about you bring the chips and I'll bring the dips?

This is why it took me like 3 years to finally do Mystery, and why I'll probably never do it again. It's also why I've never been to Coyote Buttes.

I have spent more time in line than anyone else I know and I usually get there 1st in line. I have never had an issue with ranger cops, but though I don't bring a chair, sleeping bag, or other "comforts", I do bring a laptop and watch a movie. I have met a bunch of people in line and had great conversations as well. I don't find it to be quite as bad as most folks.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125 View Post
    This is why it took me like 3 years to finally do Mystery, and why I'll probably never do it again. It's also why I've never been to Coyote Buttes.
    Like it or not, this is one reason the permits exist. It reduces the number of visitors that can impact the resource.

Like thedesertnomad, I have never had trouble getting a permit without reservations. It just might not be the specific one I wanted, on the specific day I wanted! Easy for me to say, since I live in Utah. I figure if I can't do Mystery this trip to Zion, I'll just hit it next time. Or go to Spry, or Behunin, or any one of the other fantastic canyons there.

I can see how this is a bigger frustration for those of you out of state. You might only get to Zion once a year, so you want to be able to plan on Mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    Like it or not, this is one reason the permits exist. It reduces the number of visitors that can impact the resource.
    (Caveat: The below rant is not aimed at canyoncaver at all, his above comment just hit a sore spot with me, Zion Park and the government in general)

I have always tried to wrap my head around this concept. What can I possibly do that a flash flood doesn't undo or "damage" worse? I went into Mystery, down the death slope a couple of years ago and there was a large sluff-off or land slide, which completely wiped out part of the "human impact" trail that had been created. We were one of the first groups through that year and it was a mess of debris. It was quite pretty and nice in that section before the slide.

I do realize that trails are impactful. But don't trails lessen human impact? How does one enjoy the park if not on a trail? I must say it is pretty hard to get into Mystery but for the trial. I know this. I unintentionally tried a different route in my first time into Mystery when I didn't know where the trial was (back in the good old days before permit limits.) When we talk about impact, we need to remember that we are talking about a National Park with millions of visitors per year. If we stay on trial and in the water course, I think the human impact in slot canyons, including Mystery, is minimal at best.

Funny thing about Mystery in particular, I have offered man power to build and shore up the trail into Mystery in an effort to lessen impact and make the descent into Mystery a little nicer. Nope, no can do, was the response. We were not trained professionals. Why you need studies, engineering, people standing around scratching their chins, yada yada. I have been a part of many trail projects but I guess we now need a five year study, thousands of dollars, and tax payer paid trained professionals to swing a pick, dig some dirt, haul some timbers, and drive some rebar in order to put in a trail. Not. I remember one trail project (eagle project) that I was on two years ago in Mapleton Canyon. The forest service wouldn't let us use a drill to drill holes through the timbers to insert the rebar. Only they could use it. Only they could use the chain saw (which was wimpy and had mechanical problems) to cut the timbers to length. I turned to two of the other leaders, both contractors, and we just laughed in disbelief. One of the contractors who builds schools for the government just said, "Scott, don't try to understand it. You never will. Don't try to be efficient, it won't happen." So when the rangers weren't watching, we grabbed their tools and finished double the trail section that they had completed the week before. They came back from what I guess was a government required break, saw what we had done and what we were doing and just let us finish a very long section of bike/hiking trail that we had started. No one injured, everyone working together rather than standing, watching and waiting for a ranger drill a hole or cut a timber. Back to Mystery, it is sad when you have a bunch of man power ready, willing and able to help and the government won't let you. (And don't give me this "Its the lawyers fault" crap.)

Too many pet peeves with Mystery and government inefficiency so I will stop now.
    Life is Good

Standing in line sucks.... if ZNP is going to continue this current permit system this is what I'd like to see.... at 6:45 am a ranger walks out and lets everyone in line draw a number from a hat.... number 1 moves to the front of the line, 2, 3, 4..... that would completely eliminate the crazy 3:00 am line forming.... as a bonus well rested and less stressed canyoneers are safer canyoneers....

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Standing in line sucks.... if ZNP is going to continue this current permit system this is what I'd like to see.... at 6:45 am a ranger walks out and lets everyone in line draw a number from a hat.... number 1 moves to the front of the line, 2, 3, 4..... that would completely eliminate the crazy 3:00 am line forming.... as a bonus well rested and less stressed canyoneers are safer canyoneers....
    Last few times I've been there line started at midnight. poor people showing up at 3 hoping to get a Subway permit.

Edit: Agree a number draw is a good idea. But the problem is it would never work. Why? Because it makes too much sense and the permit system is designed not to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Now THAT sounds like a good idea.

I wouldn't stand in line at 3:00am for any canyon! I can't believe people actually do that.