Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Essential equipment for Mystery Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    So... A coffee at 3 AM is a camping amenity, but is a coffee at 7 AM?

Now, if all went well yesterday, sarahlizzy should be in Mystery right now.

Looking forward to a trip report.

It was awesome. I will do a trip report in due course, but first there is to be pizza.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlizzy View Post
    It was awesome. I will do a trip report in due course, but first there is to be pizza.

And the Pizza & Noodle takes credit cards now!

And the Pizza & Noodle takes credit cards now!
    That was really handy because I didn't realise it was possible for six people to be that hungry

That was really handy because I didn't realise it was possible for six people to be that hungry
    *laughs* I was thinking that six pizzas for six women was a bit much, but when we only had a single pizza left to take back... wow.
    -Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by joycem137 View Post
    *laughs* I was thinking that six pizzas for six women was a bit much, but when we only had a single pizza left to take back... wow.
    Why aren't you in Keyhole?!? Or are you guys done already? Now get off the internetz and go have more fun!!

Welcome to Bogley!

Why aren't you in Keyhole?!? Or are you guys done already? Now get off the internetz and go have more fun!!

Welcome to Bogley!
    Heh. We're actually leaving for it *right now*!

Thanks for the welcome! I figured I should join since sarahlizzy keeps talking about it.
    -Joyce

Just back from Keyhole. Very cold, not much water in it, didn't see anyone else which was odd. Loads of fun though!

Just back from Keyhole. Very cold, not much water in it, didn't see anyone else which was odd. Loads of fun though!
    Yes, I particularly liked the bit where I passed the string, err, I mean canyonfire rope forward for the bit that used to be a bumslide because we were concerned about the lack of water in it this time, with the biner still attached. Sarahlizzy announces it's long enough to reach the bottom, "more or less".

I'm not sure I like the "less" part of that!

Quote Originally Posted by zoeimogen View Post
    Yes, I particularly liked the bit where I passed the string, err, I mean canyonfire rope forward for the bit that used to be a bumslide because we were concerned about the lack of water in it this time, with the biner still attached. Sarahlizzy announces it's long enough to reach the bottom, "more or less".

I'm not sure I like the "less" part of that!
    It was definitely a "more" type situation - I could see the rope in the water, so there

It was definitely a "more" type situation - I could see the rope in the water, so there
    This was not immediately obvious from your initial comment at the time :-)

I also think that the second half of the long swimming hallway got a whole bunch of sand dumped down in it. I remember that section being a full swim the whole way down, and although the water levels were quite a bit lower, there's no way they were low enough to expose stuff that we used to have to swim through.

My memory could be wrong here, but I just don't remember the swimming section being quite that short, even with the lower water.
    -Joyce

Glad you got to go to Mystery, Sarah!

You guys talking about 3 AM? The people snarfing the permits last weekend were there at 10:30 PM the previous day! What a joke!

We were talking about 3AM, but sarahlizzy mentioned getting there at 10:45. Crazy system. This is increasing safety in the Zion backcountry?

Quote Originally Posted by nonot View Post
    You guys talking about 3 AM? The people snarfing the permits last weekend were there at 10:30 PM the previous day! What a joke!
    You're not one of the two blokes who got off the canyon shuttle looking for Mystery permits the night sarahlizzy and I were there, were you? We got in line about half past ten and only barely made the cut! There really is something borked there.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraMG View Post
    You're not one of the two blokes who got off the canyon shuttle looking for Mystery permits the night sarahlizzy and I were there, were you? We got in line about half past ten and only barely made the cut! There really is something borked there.
    Nope, but you may have talked to the "minion" we sent. Permits increase safety...right......a bunch of dog-ass tired people trying to do a canyon having to forfeit sleep just so they could get a permit.....

What is the penalty for getting caught poaching?

We did Mystery just after the snow melt this year and it was very obvious that the canyon itself is responsible for a lot of erosion down there. Fresh loose rock and snapped trees everywhere. I dont think we were making it much worse.