Thread: Otter Wotter

Otter Wotter

Yesterday (Sat), I took the long drive to Otter Creek for some open water and brutish rainbows. On the way, I was surprised to see that Koosharem is still completely capped with ice, showing only faint signs of softening edges.

Upon arrival at OC, I tried my luck below the dam. The flow was very light and there didn't appear to be any fish in that area, so I got back on track and hit the South Point area of the lake.

The wind was blowing (as usual) and the water looked too choppy for a float, so I just threw heavy lures and soaked minnows from shore. The action was super slow, but the fish I caught were worth the wait.

My first fish took a gold kastmaster shortly after I started fishing and it was great to feel the aggressive fight of a nice OC rainbow once again. It measured 20 inches.

Not a bad start to the day, I thought. About 20 minutes after that fish, I was surprised to see my other rod spitting out line. The minnow that I used was one of the biggest redsides I've seen, and I was anxious to see if it would get any attention (it would take a sizable fish to eat it). Unfortunately, my attempt to set the hook failed and I never got to meet the hog on the other end of my line. Bummer.

The next couple of hours passed without any more fish coming in. Eventually, a rainbow kastmaster was able to entice another strike and fish #2 for the day was at my hand.

Another long dry spell passed and I got a really hard strike on my lure, but was unable to keep that fish on. About a half hour later, my third and final fish for the day came thrashing in after a hard fought battle. It swallowed the whole lure and got hooked in the gill rake pretty badly.

A couple more empty hours went by and it was time to head home. It may have been really slow fishing, but I was well overdue for some big angry fish to fight with and I'm glad I made it down there.

Happy Fishing, Humans.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very cool. You did well.

I am ready to get out myself. I penned a date on the calendar with my father-in-law to hit Strawberry next month. The week before memorial day I think. We are going to watch the weather and fishing reports. Sorry it's off subject, but when does Strawberry pick up. We will be renting a boat from sun up until high noon.

Thanks in advance

I doubt it will have any open water until about mid May, although I'm not too sure. Good luck when you go.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log