Thread: Fat Mans Misery

Fat Mans Misery

I'm wondering if anyones gone down Misery yet this year if so what were the conditions like ?
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I bet there is some water in there, and the exit out of Paranuweep will be flowing pretty good.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Dave
    The East side is drying out very fast(was up there yesterday). I wouldn't think you would have any problem in Fat Mans, The River might indeed be high.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Dave
    The East side is drying out very fast(was up there yesterday). I wouldn't think you would have any problem in Fat Mans, The River might indeed be high.
    The Narrows was only at 100 cfs today. Melting has been attenuated by coolish temps and some mixed cloudiness. The East Fork is likely running not too high, but would certainly be colder than in summer. Without wetsuits it would be tough.

Another beautiful day in Zion.

Tom

Thanks guys i was thinking of maybe doing Misery next weekend
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

I hiked down there today to the first anchor and also to the Paranuweep overlook. I didn't go all the way down to the river but I could see it and it looked manageable just fine. The East Fork didn't look much higher than in the summer when I have done it before. There was a ton of snow in the notch between Checkerboard Mesa and the other one. It was 15 feet deep in some places, no kidding. It was easy to stay on top without post holing much at all. I did have yak-trax in the morning and was happy I did. Once you get over the top of the pass the snow becomes non-existent. I did not do the canyon but went for a hike and there was no snow at any point between the pass and the first anchor of Misery. Same goes for between the pass and the East Fork of the river. It looked like it would be fine to me but remember I didn't do the canyon. I have done it in the past. Here is the link to the East Fork flow rate. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?09404900