Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bogley on iPad [pix]

Bogley on iPad [pix]

Of course I got one! A few pix. My boy was playing Street Fighter 4 which is very cool on the iPad. I am also posting this from the new toy.

Anybody else pick one up?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I realize that buying one the day it comes out, is similar to going to the theater on the opening day of a movie. That excitement of it being new, and sharing in the mob mentality of the excitement of its release are bound to make it better. So I'm sure you are thrilled with it right now, and perhaps it is too early to ask, but what do you think so far? I know you have an iPhone, and you have a Mac. So especially for someone like you, I don't really see the appeal. I guess I have just been hearing so much about the iPad (Modern Family last week, was practically a 30 minute commercial for the iPad, and even Rush Limbaugh won't shut up about it), and I don't get it.

I read it doesn't have USB ports (and I am a USB junkie), and you can only run one application at a time. I would think its description of just being a big iPod Touch would be accurate but I heard a guy on the radio at the "Simply Mac" store saying that he was thinking it would just be like a big Ipod Touch, but upon holding one, he was really impressed with it and now wants one. I would think that there would have to be something behind the iPad other than just being made by Apple, and so I would be especially interested in hearing from you (someone who already has a Mac, and an iPhone) to hear about its functionality and usefulness.

On the other hand if you have just purchased it, to have another toy. That I do understand, and am jealous. I hope you enjoy your new purchase.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

First off it is awesome! Of course I am a Mac lover, but I wouldn't have got one if I didn't think it was going to be useful for me. I had it delivered yesterday so no crowds...yuck.

I think the biggest thing is that some peole are focusing on what it cant do and really what it wasn't designed to do. It is not a full sized PC and it is not an iPhone. The market it is intended to penetrate is right in the middle of the two and for that it excels.

For me, 90% of my computer time at home (Bogley, web, money, photos, music, movies, etc) work great on the iPad and are much easier on a small tablet. If I need to do heavier lifting then I'll grab a laptop or desktop. It does have a USB adapter as well. Watch a few of these videos (very short) http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

I must say, having all of this media right in your hands is very cool.
    Last edited by accadacca; 04-04-2010 at 08:59 AM.

That makes a lot of sense.

My attention span kind of sucks. And I generally am most comfortable doing multiple things at once, and so for me I don't know that it would be a good fit. But your explanation makes a lot of sense as to why it would be a good fit for you.

How is the battery life?

Blog Entries
    The Ipad is an interesting device. My friend has one and got to play with it yesterday too.
    The big appeal for most people is the huge screen. And the target audience for the Ipad is, I believe, the businessman. It shows presentations, and documents VERY nicely - without having the wait of a PC/Macbook to load up and open up MS office and click on the file. It will be nearly instant.

Although currently, still has most of the limitations of the iphone/itouch - via upgrades, it will improve greatly. No multi-tasking yet? No flash support yet? Only locked into with ATT? If the ipad developer doesn't support the ipad - the ipad will just stretch the screen and it becomes pixelated.

Thankfully, 3 other iphone-dev forums have committed themselves to jailbreak the ipad once the 3G version of the iPad is released. That way, you can have awesome 3rd party support and apps, that take the iPad beyond its limitations.

If you want to take your Wifi iPad to a new level of mobility, you will also need to have a iPhone that is jailbroken and download an app called MyWi which turns yours phone into a mobile hotspot with support up to 5 devices. It allows you to tether your data plan, which is great on the run!

I've heard the battery life is about 10 hours - and on that "10 hour test" the guy ran movies continually. I wonder if other people report such results...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Yeah, the battery life so far has been great. I used it quite a bit yesterday and only got down to 20%.

Seriously watch a few of those vids when you have a chance. Amazing.

The Inner Workings Of The iPad
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    The Inner Workings Of The iPad
    Haha, I saw that on the macrumor forums.

Seriously though, I don't know how anyone can justify to buy one for the minimum of $529 (including tax) for thegeneral public. If it's for Corporate America I can see it useful there. Just saying...
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Yeah, saw that too.

I justified my purchase by selling my home MacBook. This iPad is meant to take it's place. At work I use a MacBook Pro and iPhone. I won't need this iPad at work although it may come in handy once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    If it's for Corporate America I can see it useful there.
    i would think this it would be useful in the workplace well beyond the scope of "corporate america"

hell even picard has a gang of them PADDs

Name:  picard-padds..jpg
Views: 1924
Size:  89.1 KB

Seriously though, I don't know how anyone can justify to buy one for the minimum of $529 (including tax) for the general public.
    the general public buys $1000-$3000 tvs on a regular basis

Sweet....my Jeep's on an iPad :)
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

best use of one yet!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Man, that Blendtec is sweet! How do I get one of those?

Those BlendTec blenders are awesome. My wife insisted we get a Bosch when we got married, and I have never liked it. I wish I had a Kitchen-Aid and a BlendTec blender.

Blog Entries
    don't forget to listen in on the press conference for OS 4.0 this Thursday.

Rumors include:
    -Third-party Multitasking
    -unified inbox
    -software support for front-facing camera (which allows iChat and Skype) which then be used on the next iPhone release.
    -major 2G & 3G model refinements, in regards to stability and resource handling.
    -Updated UI

/nerdy mode.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Mountain Misanthrope ScoutColorado's Avatar
    Congrats, looks cool.
    Although I'm pretty much of a "fanboy" I'm holding off for a while. I'm waiting for the new Macbooks, since mine is getting old, and I'm due for a refresh on my iPhone when the new ones come out in June. But the iPad looks great.

I think that the identity of this device is yet to be determined by the public. I've heard so many people say it's this, it's not that - if we wait, there will be some cool things available that nobody has thought of yet. Some sketchup/paint programs just came out that made me think this has a place for artists in the idea/mockup world.
    Anyway, congrats, you lucky dog.
    RR

ps - Jailbreaking? I'm calling the JobsPolice and turning you guys in!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutColorado View Post

ps - Jailbreaking? I'm calling the JobsPolice and turning you guys in!
    You know what's weird to me is a most of my friends also have a iPhone, and they think jailbreaking is illegal. It's not. Does it void the warranty? Most definitely, yes. But I'm pro-jailbreak, and I like what you said earlier about "if we wait, there will be cool things available that nobody has thought of yet." That's what a jailbreak does. It allows for 3rd party apps. Intelliscreen, MyWi, Winterboard, 3G Unrestricter, yxFlash, and uMonitor/uRemote (allows me to control torrent downloads via my home computer, as well as the option to add torrents - via my phone, anywhere). Those apps alone are reason enough to jailbreak. Even MyWi is worth the jailbreak.

And I didn't even mention Unlocking the phone...hehe
    as you can see I'm quite passionate about jailbreaking the iphone. So much more goodness!
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Mountain Misanthrope ScoutColorado's Avatar
    Oh me too jman, I think it's great. I was just having a little fun...
    I never got around to jailbreaking my phone - just got too many other toys to play with. But the apps are great. I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned.
    But it is funny how many people are scared of jailbreaking and doing something creative. Wanna bet on how long it takes the boys to post the iPad break? lol
    (actually I haven't checked MacRumors today - maybe it's done!)
    RR

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutColorado View Post
    Oh me too jman, I think it's great. I was just having a little fun...
    I never got around to jailbreaking my phone - just got too many other toys to play with. But the apps are great. I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned.
    But it is funny how many people are scared of jailbreaking and doing something creative. Wanna bet on how long it takes the boys to post the iPad break? lol
    (actually I haven't checked MacRumors today - maybe it's done!)
    RR
    I knew you were, but I just had to say it. I always slither in a comment when a iphone comment pops up. hehe. What firmware version is your phone? If its 3.1.2 - you can jailbreak it. If its 3.1.3 - you can't jailbreak it (yet).

Well, it is confirmed that there is a jailbreak for the ipad (using the same exploits from the phone) but they won't release it till the 3G ipad comes out. But I think they will be even hesitant to release it then - since Apple is having a press conference this Thursday for OS 4.0 - which will be released during June/July (which will be the same time when they probably announce the new iPhone that supports CDMA (read Verizon).

anywho, personally my advice is to wait till the Summer, if you do plan on getting one, to buy one. Besides, the #1 complaint right-now about the iPad is faulty WiFi support. Supposedly it drops and reconnects about every 20min to every hr. Apple says its YOUR routers fault and should update it, but everyone says its a faulty WiFi device.

Anyways, just trying to help you become a better informed consumer.

Yes, first app you need to check out if you plan to jailbreak is MyWi (www.rockyourphone.com), and although the app costs $10 - it is very much worth it! There is a free alternative, but not as fast (or native) and has number of issues still and that's called PDANet.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"