Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bogley on iPad [pix]

I strongly disagree with anyone that thinks this device has a place in the corporate arena. No IT shop in their right mind would consider deploying these devices. While they are a great device for personal use, they were not designed for the corporate environment. The device was designed to CONSUME content, not CREATE content. There aren't too many jobs that I'm aware of where you get paid to watch content. Not only that, but the device wouldn't hold up for business use. People who don't pay for their equipment with their own money tend not to take care of their equipment. The iPad has already been shown to be extremely fragile - they just wouldn't last in workplace. Apple's business model has always been focused around personal use, not corporate use. This device falls right in line with that.
    I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

corporate america is vast. are you really trying to paint one giant broad stroke in that post there?

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    corporate america is vast. are you really trying to paint one giant broad stroke in that post there?
    Yes, at least broad enough to imply that the success of the iPad will not hing on the adoption of corporate America. Other than in niche situations, corporate America will not embrace this device for use in the work place. Would you disagree with my statements?

Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll View Post
    Yes, at least broad enough to imply that the success of the iPad will not hing on the adoption of corporate America. Other than in niche situations, corporate America will not embrace this device for use in the work place. Would you disagree with my statements?
    i don't think the success of the device hinges on corporate america, only that it could help its success in the short term. i think in the not so distant future, devices like these will be commonplace, especially once the price is right (whether made by apple or not.)

given that my understanding of corporate america is very limited, i don't believe i am in the position to really predict what will happen. but given that the corporate arena is so diverse, i can imagine the device being extremely useful to many, especially if specific apps are developed that are specialized for use.

i certainly don't think there will be a wholesale invasion of corporate america and i don't think anyone here is saying that. my impression of what jman thinks is that corporate america could be the slice of the populace that uses the ipad to its full potential, i.e., beyond email, videos, games, internet, etc. whether it goes beyond niches in the "corporate arena" remains to be seen but it seems to me that it is not implausible.

of course, i am thinking from the perspective of the individual and not IT (which is one of many reasons i believe my perspective to be very limited). for the individual, this device can trivialize, speed up, and increase efficiency in a number of common tasks, all the while being not much thicker than a pad of paper and less than 2lbs (1.5-1.6lbs).

to me, if one has an extensive amount of reading material, this device would be more effective than a laptop or desktop computer for reading it. (hardcopies should only be made out of necessity.)

while the device is in its nascence, the operating system will be updated to include and enhance a number of useful features, and many more applications will be developed, all of which could make the device more attractive in business.

i disagree with you that these devices were designed only to consume rather than create content. it's clear to me that they are capable of creating content and apple has demonstrated that they were designed to be able to create content too. whether they meet someone's threshold for content creation is another issue, and i would suggest that there is a section of the population for which the device is sufficient for their needs and a section where the device is insufficient. the device is meant to sync to a computer so it's not entirely stand alone. and for many people, i don't imagine it completely replacing their computers, but i think it will augment their computers in highly practical ways and divert certain tasks to the ipad and other tasks to the computer.

i guess i have a hard time believing that, for a subset of corporate america (not just niches), this device wouldn't be successful.

personally i don't really care whether corporate america adopts it or not. my only interest is in understanding how devices/OSs like this one can help to improve not only productivity but the experience one has with a computing device.
    Last edited by stefan; 04-10-2010 at 02:18 PM.

i disagree with you that these devices were designed only to consume rather than create content.
    I'm not saying they aren't capable of creating, I'm just saying they weren't designed for that. The closest you will come to creating content on a large scale would be social media, like posting to Facebook or Bogley.

i guess i have a hard time believing that, for a subset of corporate america (not just niches), this device wouldn't be successful.
    Apple currently doesn't have any device that would be considered successful in its adoption in the corporate world. Even the mac isn't considered successful in corporate america. There are very few shops that are mac only. Typically you'll see a single department (marketing) that uses macs and the rest of the company is pc. This device won't change that, nor was it intended to. That doesn't mean Apple isn't successful or doesn't now what they are doing. They are a consumer based, not corporate based, and they know that. They are making a killing in the consumer market - they know their markets and are dominating them.

One major problem I have with the iPhone or iPad being in the corporate world is their proprietary nature. They control every app that goes on the iPad or iPhone. This is great for the average user, but if a corporation wanted to use their own customized app, it would be impossible.

personally i don't really care whether corporate america adopts it or not. my only interest is in understanding how devices/OSs like this one can help to improve not only productivity but the experience one has with a computing device.
    I'm with you, I really don't care either. The device has potential. Hopefully other companies will make competing products, advancing the technology further. Let's face it, if you like gadgets, we live in a pretty cool world!

By the way, the tapatalk app on the iPhone is pretty dang cool. As soon as I get the full version I might not ever have to visit bogley from the pc again.

Here is my take as a non tech, non apple, but sit at a computer by profession kinda guy. I need to be able to have the ability to type quickly and hook up to stuff for me to be interested. I must be able to print, hook up to a projector, have an internal or external DVD, ablility to plug in my dictaphone...etc. Normal office stuff. The format of the device looks to be intuitive and pretty cool. I like the touch screen ability to eliminate a mouse. But until it does what I already said, it will not happen for me as a business person.
    Life is Good

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    *BUMP*

Just bought my 64gb IPAD w/WIFI -- primarily for the purposes of evaluating use in the corporate world. Should have it by Monday or so..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KillEmAll View Post
    As a CTO for a mid-sized company, I can't disagree. I am still however, evaluating it for impromptu data input in a laboratory environment. If I can replace paper with an IPAD (using a web enabled application), then this would be better than a 5 pound laptop.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Wow Your Still A Pathetic Virgin (not you Brute, this guy)

Name:  92%20Wow%20Youre%2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  21.3 KB

So the iPad's been around now for something like 6 months. To those of you who bought one, do you still like it? I had mine for all of two weeks and got rid of it. If it were half the price it probably would have been worth keeping but for that much money it just wasn't doing enough for me. I tried to use it as the couch web surfing device but I found myself needing the laptop far too often. Plus it was heavy and awkward in the hands, not like my laptop, it has a built-in stand.

So anyway, how's the iPad treating you? Getting dusty?

I can't answer the price/performance trade-off because mine was a gift. I don't use it daily, or even close to that. But when I'm on vacation it rocks! It was so nice to carry around camp last weekend and look at the pictures we had just taken on a nice screen. Plus I had maps and route descriptions downloaded. In Hawaii it was nice to use as a GPS and for finding restaurants, etc. I don't have a smart phone and I find those screens hard to read for my 50+ year-old eyes. Watching movies on long plane flights is pretty nice too.

It is expensive though, I grant you that. I was lucky to have a generous benefactor!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I love mine. I was watching Monday Night Football on it the other night via veetle.com. I use it a bunch for reading too. There have been a ton of great apps released since you sold yours. I use mine instead of a laptop. I get more than enough computer time in at work, so when I come home I just want to chill.

My computer time in the evening consists of sitting in bed for 30-60 mins before hitting the pillow. It sits on my night stand and can easily be grabbed to surf Bogley, read a book, pay bills, read the news, play a game, read a magazine (national geographic is sweet and all the geeky tech mags or outlets), watch tv or videos. I would echo the trip comments. I am going to St. George with the kids this weekend. The iPad is great for watching movies or playing games on trips. My son recently started playing The Settlers HD game on iPad and its very cool. My wife was using it the other night to look at Kauai via the google earth app and she also uses it to look at recipes in the kitchen via apps or online.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    So anyway, how's the iPad treating you?
    i like the device a lot. i primarily got it for reading documents as well as discussing documents/images/etc with others. having hundreds to thousands of documents at the touch of a finger that you can carry around and access with ease is a really nice thing (kinda like having all your music at the touch of a finger). pinch-zooming text and images can be a very useful feature that is lacking in laptops and desktops.

by the way the thing is apparently selling like hotcakes:

iPad Adoption Rate Fastest Ever, Passing DVD Player
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/39501308