Thread: Recommended Climbing Guide Books for St. George Area

Recommended Climbing Guide Books for St. George Area

What books do you have on your shelves for climbing in Southern Utah?

I'm a NOOB climber and live in Washington County. My wife and I have been starting to top-rope climb and we're looking for places to go and guide books.

The only climbing guide book we own is Classic Rock Climbs No. 01 Joshua Tree National Park, California And it's ok, but we don't live in So. Cal. anymore.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks. I'll check it out. Good for NOOBs too?
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

That is THE guide for St. George, it basically covers everything and is one of the most well laid out guidebooks ever. It's really good. Now if only someone would make an equivalent to replace the old Wasatch book.

Thanks mrbrejcha and shaggy for sharing advice. I've ordered the book.

Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw View Post
    What books do you have on your shelves for climbing in Southern Utah?

I'm a NOOB climber and live in Washington County. My wife and I have been starting to top-rope climb and we're looking for places to go and guide books.

The only climbing guide book we own is Classic Rock Climbs No. 01 Joshua Tree National Park, California And it's ok, but we don't live in So. Cal. anymore.
    We carry the book here at The Desert Rat. It is $32.95. Stop by. The corner of St. George Blvd and Bluff Street in the same building that houses Hurst Ace Hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    We carry the book here at The Desert Rat. It is $32.95. Stop by. The corner of St. George Blvd and Bluff Street in the same building that houses Hurst Ace Hardware.
    Cool. I went by the Desert Rat today and picked up a copy. Terry B. helped me out with that and a few other things-- he was really helpful.

I'm surprised that the book is is printed with 100% color photos of the routes. The descriptions of the routes seem to be fairly specific. I'm excited to get out there and use it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125 View Post
    Now if only someone would make an equivalent to replace the old Wasatch book.
    I imagine you're referring to the Ruckmans' guide?

I think part of the reason that guidebook hasn't been replaced is that it really set the bar very very high and no one has even attempted to try an update. Its daunting, to say the least.

If done in the same style as that St. George area guidebook, you'd have an LA phonebook to lug around, in the least. If an update does get done, no doubt it will take on either new routes only, or, break the canyons up into Big, Little, Ferguson, etc.

Rumor of folks working on one. We'll see.

The Handren Red Rocks guide really set a new standard methinks. That thing is pretty outstanding.

But, the Ruckmans' Wasatch guide is a mega classic too, especially given its a Falcon Press guidebook. Between the descriptions, layout, the topos, you don't really get much better.

But, I'm biased maybe, since I've spent so much time in the Wasatch saddle...

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post

Rumor of folks working on one. We'll see.

-Brian in SLC
    Hear any rumors about a Maple book? That would be rad-ass, kinda.

-Brejcha

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrejcha View Post
    Hear any rumors about a Maple book?
    Rumors? Of course.

What you really want to know is, that route that was your first 13a, or 12a, etc, how downrated will it be?

Ha ha.

Give me a route name and I'll tell ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Rumors? Of course.

What you really want to know is, that route that was your first 13a, or 12a, etc, how downrated will it be?
    What I really want to know is how to spread out the traffic. The walls in between Pipe Dream and minimum look good.

-Brejcha

Which wall?

Zen Garden, Upper Narrows, Craganmore, Neversweat, Damascus North and South Gate, Red Dog, Margaritaville, Haji, Coliseum...

Yes. :)