Thread: Beginner would like some good ideas

Beginner would like some good ideas

Hi guys how is everyone doing?? I am looking for a great place to start and want some cool canyons. I would prefer to stay close to utah county(home) but i guess whatever works. Thanks to everyone in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wassup. Maybe a general area would be better to help you get some advice. You around Saint george, Cedar city, Price, Provo, Salt Lake, etc?
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Wassup. Maybe a general area would be better to help you get some advice. You around Saint george, Cedar city, Price, Provo, Salt Lake, etc?
    I would prefer to stay close to utah county(home)

Reading.. its hard before 10AM :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    Zing!

Rope work, not rope work? Wet or dry? Tell us a little about your experience level? What equipment do you have like ropes, harness, wet suit(s), back pack, water bottle... etc. A little more info about you would help us recommend a canyon or two to you .
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by jameson View Post
    i am in the povo/orem area
    Look around the site, Jameson. You'll see quite a few threads devoted to beginner canyons in Utah. Good luck

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30957

I dont have ropes and harness but I decent at climbing. I dont care wet or dry both would be great I have been a couple times down to maple canyon in sanpete and done so canyons and love it. I would like some areas close to here. Thanks and sorry for being a hassel not to common to forums.

Quote Originally Posted by jameson View Post
    I dont have ropes and harness but I decent at climbing. I dont care wet or dry both would be great I have been a couple times down to maple canyon in sanpete and done so canyons and love it. I would like some areas close to here. Thanks and sorry for being a hassel not to common to forums.
    No worries. We are just trying to point you right. We don't want to send you into a canyon with a 100' rappel when you don't have a rope or harness. Sorry for the basic/elementary question but are you familiar with "canyoneering" or "technical canyoneering"? Sounds like you have some climbing experience but Maple Canyon in Sanpete County is not known (at least to me) for canyoneering. What SLOT canyons have you done or have you heard of? I would check out http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/ or climb-utah.com for some basic info and then check out some canyons in the Swell or Roost areas. They will be the closest to Utah County where I am also.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I would check outhttp://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/ or climb-utah.com
    Good thing you didn't include the site that would get the post labeled as SPAM
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

There is a "slot" canyon in Maple (box canyon). Usually has fixed lines for upclimbing or you can drop in from the top and rappel the two drops. It's actually pretty cool, but it's also on private property so special considerations should be taken if going there. The land owner allows people to climb there as of now (lots of sport routes in the "slot") but you never know if he's gonna decide to post no trespassing signs one day. Not much in the way of canyoneering around Provo, all the good stuff is in Southern Utah (further drive than Maple Canyon), but it's really, really good, so it's worth the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee View Post
    OMG I'm so retarded. I should ban myself from posting this early. Is it more retarded to admit I didn't know there was a Utah county or should I quit while I'm ahead (or behind with no chance of recovery)? Us washington county residents don't get out much, hehe.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

The San Rafael Swell is about 3ish hours away. It is the closest real canyoneering to Utah county. Ding and Dang, Little Wild Horse and Bell loop, Crack, or Chute canyon would be good places to start. Some good downclimbs in Dang but no rappelling in any of those. Eardley is a fun canyon requiring ropes. Choose your route carefully with Eardley right LUC is a pain but you get to look for fossils on the downclimb into the canyon. You can go left LUC and it is a shorter entrance.

If you are looking at more technical/rope work type canyons then the robbers roost is a good place to go. Blue John canyon (Main and little forks) are fairly straight forward and survivable if you have some knowledge of ropework. Robbers Roost has a ton of canyons. If you go to Larry canyon then don't break your legs!

Canyoneeringusa.com and climb-utah.com are two great places to start your search for canyons in the area. Both sites run by Bogley members.

More info on your ability and what you like (stemming, dc, freehanging raps, etc) would help narrow down the options. Those listed are some of the canyons I have done. If you give more detail down I am sure you will get more ideas.
    The man thong is wrong.