Thread: Lake Powell is Warming Up (article)

Blog Entries

Lake Powell is Warming Up (article)

Lake Powell is Warming Up
    Herald Extra
    http://heraldextra.com/sports/recrea...c686ae56e.html
    March 23, 2010

"After a long, cold, and wet winter that included ice covering several bays in the Hite area, Lake Powell is finally warming up and promises incredible recreational opportunities in 2010. The lake level is nearly 10 feet higher than at this time last year, and with the upstream snowpack at close to 100 percent of average, water levels are predicted to rise to near 10-year highs by mid summer.

A few friends and I spent a couple of days on Lake Powell this past week and although a cold, brisk wind continually reminded us that spring was still slowly creeping its way into the southern Utah, we found the scenery spectacular, the solitude refreshing, and the fishing - well, it had a little way to go to keep up with the rest of it.

Aramark, Lake Powell's current concessionaire, has just reopened the Defiance Lodge at Bullfrog for the 2010 season and there is a real excitement in the air. Some of the contractors working with the company told me they will be remodeling some of the lodging and will be increasing the availability of houseboat rentals and storage.

Perhaps the most important change to the entire Lake Powell experience will be passing through the mandatory decontamination booth in operation near the boat ramps. These facilities are manned by employees of the Forest Service, and oversee the certification of every boat entering the lake. The quagga and zebra mussel threat to Utah waters precipitated the need for decontamination facilities all over the lake. Before you launch this year, you must either have your boat professionally cleaned at one of the decontamination facilities, or you must certify that your boat has been cleaned and allowed to dry for a minimum of five days before launching. It is hoped that these extra precautions will stop the spread of the invasive mussels, and the penalties for not getting your boat certified are quite prohibitive. Not displaying a certification on the dashboard of your vehicle can be punishable by a $5000.00 dollar fine among other charges. Officials aren't fooling around. They mean business.

Due to the new certification requirements, the boat ramps, for the first time in my memory, will also hold to business hours. At Bullfrog, for example, the ramp opens at 7:00 a.m. and closes at 5:00 p.m. on weekdays and 9:00 p.m. on weekends.

DWR officials predict that the fishing for 2010 will be the best anglers have experienced in many, many years. The shad population is strong which translates into fat, healthy stripers, walleyes, bass, crappies, and catfish. Even now, the walleyes are finishing their spawn and are beginning to bite. The stripers are holding in stained water in the backs of canyons. They will respond to small minnow baits like Pointer Minnows or Rapalas. The largemouth bass are chasing jigs and spinnerbaits in water between two and eight feet deep. And, the smallmouth bass are just beginning to come up out of their winter haunts.

Lake Powell attracts recreational boaters and anglers like a magnet, and 2010 promises more of what attracts people to America's Wonderland than we've seen in a decade. Take some time to reintroduce yourself to the beauties that await you just a few short hours southeast of the Wasatch Front."

http://heraldextra.com/sports/recrea...c686ae56e.html
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

e lake level is nearly 10 feet higher than at this time last year, and with the upstream snowpack at close to 100 percent of average, water levels are predicted to rise to near 10-year highs by mid summer.
    I'm going to call BS on this one. Where did they get their information that upsteam snowpack is close to 100%?

Of the Colorado drainages feeding the Colorado River, only the San Juan River Basin is near normal. They Colorado and Yampa River Basins are far below normal.

Of the Wyoming drainages feeding the Green River the look is even more dismal. The west side of the Wind River Mountains is only just over 50% of average for the snowpack.

Those are the main feeder drainages into Lake Powell and the next one after those would be the Uinta Mountains, which are also below normal in snowpack.

It is true that SE Utah has above normal snowpack, but only a small portion of the water feeding Lake Powell comes from SE Utah snowpack.

It seems that the article was written for advertising purposes and
    propaganda; nothing more.

agreed. looks like aramark sent out a press release and somebody decided to write an article about it...

It is the Daily Herald.... need we say more. I have been killed twice in the Daily Herald... a victim of a murder. Needless to say, My family is glad they were wrong.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    It is the Daily Herald.... need we say more. I have been killed twice in the Daily Herald... a victim of a murder. Needless to say, My family is glad they were wrong.
    Are you sure about that in all cases?

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Are you sure about that in all cases?
    NO... I am worth more dead than alive, hopefully not worth enough to tempt anyone though.....
    Life is Good