Thread: Moab vs Zion area (Gooseberry, etc)

Moab vs Zion area (Gooseberry, etc)

We have been to Moab and loved it. Thinking of trying out the Zion area for mountain biking or returning to Moab. We are experienced riders and loved Porcupine Rim especially! Any suggestions? cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I prefer gooseberry and the adjacent trails in the Huricane area as a great change from Moab, the trail system there is fun and there are some great rides, not going to find the great proximaty of a decent town like moab and set up for riding as well but the trails are great and if you are not worried about staying 5 minutes from the trails or would stay in Huricane then no problem, but if you want to go to the local brewery and maybe have a little fun at night Moab would win on that list...Unless you stay in St George and want to go to Vegas or Mesquite.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Hard to choose really. I give Southern Utah a slight edge for various reasons. All listed in that thread...but Moab is world class man.

it depends...

What time of year you were coming to ride would have a lot to do with my response.
    you've been to moab. it was great, and better than gooseberry, which is still quite good. if you're talking about a spring trip that pretty well covers it. but what about a late summer or early fall trip? In addition to gooseberry, you could also choose some righteous single track in the close by Brian Head area, including some of my favorite kind- long, (12 miles) outrageous downhills, that start above tree line at 11,000 feet and drop a vertical mile down through the big pines, then through the quakies, all the way down to the sagebrush desert. And you can always top off the evening with the summer long world class Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City. Lots of options.

I really dont care for moab, i prefer my packed dirt and lush green forests vs that dried up slickrock. Definately enjoy it there but definately would not take it over SLC

I am so with you on this one, whenever I go to moab I think what the hell am I leaving the lush forest (utah lush at least) and going to play on some rock! Unless we still have snow then it is a no brainer!
    Quote Originally Posted by driverfound337 View Post
    I really dont care for moab, i prefer my packed dirt and lush green forests vs that dried up slickrock. Definately enjoy it there but definately would not take it over SLC

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Itinerary for biking in SW UTAH

Well, we're booked to fly in to Las Vegas May 18 until May 24. We are staying in Springdale May 20-23 so will bike that area and see Zion. We have a couple days at beginning of trip and were trying to decide between St Geoge and Cedar City maybe? Will want to do a day or two biking over there...any ideas which town makes better base considering we'll be in Springdale 3 nights? Also, where the better bike rentals would be - looking for full suspension, good quality bikes. cheers!

with the amount of snow cedar got this year, and continues to get, i would stay in st george. I am not sure that the primo trails in Cedar will be open yet...there is a lot of snow up there, I was there a week ago. St George has the better bike shops. They have the red rock bike shop, it is on bluff drive just south of Albertsons. Then there is another bike shop, I cant remember the name, just two blocks east of Red Rock. Both are good bike shops. If you are staying in spingdale make sure you ride the JEM trail its a classic. If you like slick rock...Gooseberry is a must, best trail in utah I think. Then if you stay out in St. George go ride stucci springs. Enjoy Utah while you are here...Oh and if you have time in Vegas, if you want to ride down there before you come up, look up blue diamond. Fun trails out west of Vegas. Now that I have discoverd the trail system out there, I do not mind going to Vegas anymore!
    go get lost, it is good for the soul

The other great bike shop in St George is Bicycles Unlimited the Bear Poppy Trail, Zen Trail, Barrel Roll are all great trails in St George and GB Mesa is the bomb.
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Quote Originally Posted by albertabikers View Post
    Well, we're booked to fly in to Las Vegas May 18 until May 24. We are staying in Springdale May 20-23 so will bike that area and see Zion. We have a couple days at beginning of trip and were trying to decide between St Geoge and Cedar City maybe? Will want to do a day or two biking over there...any ideas which town makes better base considering we'll be in Springdale 3 nights? Also, where the better bike rentals would be - looking for full suspension, good quality bikes. cheers!
    I'm pretty sure Red Rock doesn't rent bikes. I would try Over the Edge or Zion Cycles. I think Zion rents treks/gary fishers, and OTE rents turner/knolly/felt. As for Cedar City, it's been a very wet winter & the trails there will most likely not be rideable. But who knows? I would stay in STG or Springdale.

thanks

Thanks for all the input....after much googling and going through this forum we're staying in st George and Springdale....can't wait! I'll keep checking back as we're not there until May 19th..

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by albertabikers View Post
    Thanks for all the input....after much googling and going through this forum we're staying in st George and Springdale....can't wait! I'll keep checking back as we're not there until May 19th..
    There is going to be a large group of us at Watchman Campground that weekend. Look in the cayoneering thread it is a sticky. I will have my Mtn Bike with me and plan on biking Gooseberry. My kids will be with me so it will be a slow Sunday riding but still fun. If you are camping you guys are welcome to join us in Watchamn just reserve yourself a place, or stop by and say hi.
    Chere'

thanks for the invite - we'll have to see how we go! At present we are staying in St George one night (riding Green valley area) and then Springdale for 3 nights (May20-22). We have to head out on the Sunday so will likely ride Gooseberry on Fri or Sat. We also want to hit Jem. Is Thunder mountain worth the ride up north?
    thanks again for all the info, it's really helped us plan this trip.....

Thunder Mountain is definitely worth the drive although I''m thinking it may still be snowed in in May; it's at elevation - right by Bryce which is 9,000 ft or something like that. Call ahead to the ranger at Bryce and ask.

When you get a chance some day, come back in August and ride the Brian Head trails: Dark Hollow, Virgin River Rim Trail, Bunker Creek and Thunder Mountain - those are my all time favorite Utah Trails!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost