Thread: The Maze

The Maze

Hi,

Curious if anyone knows of the riding potential out in the Maze (Canyonlands)? I'll be headed out towards Fruita in a few weeks--I'll be driving a Wrangler with good clearance--so I know I can get in down the Flint Trail. Any tips would be appreciated.

also, is the White Rim Trail worth it (by MTB)?

Thanks,
    Adrian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't think there are any trails specifically for MTBs that are not also open to 4WD vehicles. But it would be a nice change of pace to cover the road that way. Same thing for the White Rim AFAIK; you can ride it or drive it. All the "single track" type trails in Canyonlands are only open to hikers. The thing about using a MTB in this area is carrying water. But as a fun toy after you get to your 4WD camp it would be great.

Note that the Flint trail is normally easier than the roads out to the Dollhouse, though snow or rain could change that in a hurry. Teapot canyon is especially fun!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I'll be driving a Wrangler with good clearance--so I know I can get in down the Flint Trail.
    Assuming the road is open that is. In heavy snow years sometimes the road is closed until sometime in April, but usually it's open before then. Before driving down there, I would call the NPS and see if the road is open.

The Doll House Road makes a good mountain bike trip, in fact in some areas it's probably faster than driving.

One exellent mountain bike trip is Sunset Pass to the Dirty Devil, though it's best to ride it one way and have vehicle support.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    The Doll House Road makes a good mountain bike trip, in fact in some areas it's probably faster than driving.
    I'm sure there are better and faster four wheel drivers out there, but when I drove out to the Dollhouse area last April there was a spot where we couldn't seem to go any faster than some backpackers!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"