Thread: 5 days in the Escalante or Roost Area... any suggestions

5 days in the Escalante or Roost Area... any suggestions

Myself and two others are heading to south central/east Utah and wondering about which spot to explore. We would preferably like to find a beautiful spot for basecamp (car camping) and explore really great canyons by day. We don't want to do too much car travel once there but not afraid of long hikes in or out. With only four or five days, I'd like to find a perfect match between great vista's and beautiful slot canyons.

As far as technical skills go, I'm comfortable with natural anchors and have a lot of multi-pitch climbing experience but new to canyoneering. We're not looking for anything epic, just good clean exploration.

Current thoughts for places to go are Hole in the Rock road (and other near by GSENM spots) and Robber's Roost/North Wash region.

Any ideas and suggestions are more than welcome,

-lyn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: 5 days in the Escalante or Roost Area... any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by lyn
    Myself and two others are heading to south central/east Utah and wondering about which spot to explore. We would preferably like to find a beautiful spot for basecamp (car camping) and explore really great canyons by day. We don't want to do too much car travel once there but not afraid of long hikes in or out. With only four or five days, I'd like to find a perfect match between great vista's and beautiful slot canyons.

As far as technical skills go, I'm comfortable with natural anchors and have a lot of multi-pitch climbing experience but new to canyoneering. We're not looking for anything epic, just good clean exploration.

Current thoughts for places to go are Hole in the Rock road (and other near by GSENM spots) and Robber's Roost/North Wash region.

Any ideas and suggestions are more than welcome,

-lyn
    And WHEN would all this be going down? Makes a big difference, this year, as it is still winter (very wet winter) in canyon country right now. Both places are kinda spread out, but can accomodate your desires...

Tom

My mistake... this will all be going down next week tues/wed

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Conditions are very challenging at the moment. Many technical canyons would require Wet Suits. The roost will be much drier than Escalante, if you can get in on the roads. Call the Hans Flat Ranger Station (Canyonlands National Park) and ask about the road conditions.

"the usual suspects" in the Roost include: Larry, Alcatraz, Not Mindbender, White Roost, BlueJohn... Can drop down to North Wash for Leprechaun, Shenanny, Foolin' Around... I would expect at least one short swim in all of these.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    And currently SNOWING again, here in sunny Southern Utah.

I've got a suggestion: take me with you! I've got the shakes from desert withdrawal. I need a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Conditions are very challenging at the moment. Many technical canyons would require Wet Suits. The roost will be much drier than Escalante, if you can get in on the roads. Call the Hans Flat Ranger Station (Canyonlands National Park) and ask about the road conditions.

"the usual suspects" in the Roost include: Larry, Alcatraz, Not Mindbender, White Roost, BlueJohn... Can drop down to North Wash for Leprechaun, Shenanny, Foolin' Around... I would expect at least one short swim in all of these.

Thanks for you feed back, I think we're going to sign up for a suffer fest. I just saw a really amazing trip report for Neon and it looks like there are great spots to simply get a feel for the canyons in the area.

How about camping suggestions, any regional favorites and a little on the quieter side?

Thanks again and let me know,

- lyn

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    And currently SNOWING again, here in sunny Southern Utah.
    Anything north of the Black Ridge is considered Northern Utah!!
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders