Thread: TR: South Fork Robber's Roost Canyon

Somewhere outdoors, where you wish you were

TR: South Fork Robber's Roost Canyon

Just a quick report on my two and a half day, two night trip down the south fork of Robber's Roost Canyon with my scouts.

First, it was still cold. The first morning was around 37 degrees and the second morning was around 26 degrees but daytime temps were in the upper 40's to around 50. We spent the first night at the TH below the spring. The wind was blowing, it snowed a few flakes and sprinkled a bit of rain, but was otherwise uneventful. There is only a bit of snow on the ground in shady areas.

We headed down the canyon on Friday (Mar 19) around 10 am. We had a large group--around 15--and a couple kids had never repelled. There were several small patches of snow in the narrow part of the canyon with a few water holes. The last repel had a large pool of water at the base which we had to wade through. That was cold water...just above freezing. We got down all five repels and made it to camp at a large alcove (about three miles down from the TH) by 5 pm.

Saturday morning (Mar 20) we broke camp around 9:30 and started the hike out. we had around 10+ miles to go that day. We took our time, with an easy pace, stopping to rest every couple hours. The Dirty Devil river was running low and cold. We didn't wade down it due to water temp so we hiked along the west bank. We stopped across the river from Angel Cove Spring for a snack before hiking up the slickrock to Angel Landing where we had a van and my Suburban parked. We made it to the cars by 5 pm, were in Green River for dinner by 8 pm, and back in Springville by 10 pm.

It was a great trip (we do it every year) and everyone had fun. All the boys came away wanting to go again next time.

Kevin

P.S. some pics can be seen on my FB page http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1200819766

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement