Thread: What is Geocaching? And a good GPS?

What is Geocaching? And a good GPS?

I'm new to the whole GPS thing and I've been in the market for a good one. Going over the product reviews and product descriptions I keep hearing about Geocaching.

So what's it all about?

And while I've got your attention, I'm looking at two possible GPS's and would like to get your take on them-

Garmen Oregon 550t
    or
    Garmen GPSMap 60CSx

I'm leaning toward the 60CSx but my big concern is its user friendly ability and the 550t looks like it would have that over the other. Really though, I've got no idea, thats why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance

BB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Get the 60csx! It is a nice size in your hand, and it works great! Definitely my favorite of all GPS units.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    any good screen protection cases for the 60csx. took my out yesterday the the screen got a little scratched. looking at some neoprene cases.

I really like my Oregon 400t....Garmin has been consistently releasing new software updates for it since it came out, so it always has the latest and greatest features available, plus the accuracy of the GPS has improved with the software updates as well.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Geocaching is a lot of fun. A world-wide treasure hunt. The info's all there at http://geocaching.com. There are lots of clubs and groups around - you can check out UTAG - Utah Association of Geocachers (http://www.utahgeocachers.com/).

Lots of people here are involved in geocaching. I'll bet that you could get an invite to go along if you ask nicely!

Difficulties range from parking at the side of the road and looking in a culvert, to hiking and scrambling for miles and searching desperately in a forest maze. Each cache is rated for the difficulty of finding it, as well as the difficulty of the terrain involved.

Another recommend for the 60CSx. However, I never really looked at anything else the last time I GPS shopped. Many friends have and like the 60CSx, and as I sheep I just went along with the flock.

After the first trip, I had a big scratch on the screen, so I got this Garmin case, Shaun:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00076QA6K/

Very happy with it so far.

I personally have the Rino 530 (and 60csx envy). I use the Invisible-shield and it works great for me. I have a had a couple of bad gashes over the years and just replaced the invisible-shield when it has happened.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Thats pretty cool! Once I get my GPS (leaning now towards the 60CSx) I'll look into geocaching.

I really had no idea that people ever did that.

BB

I'll throw in another recommendation for the Garmin 60 series, though not necessarily the 60CSx. I've found the altimeter and magnetic compass to be pretty worthless. My altimeter, at least, requires calibration way too often to be useful, and the compass isn't very useful for geocaching because you're usually searching for a precise point rather than navigating for longer distances in a certain direction. I used to own the plain ol' GPS 60 (with no mapping capabilities at all) and it was just fine, but the GPSMap 60CSx is also great for me, and having these maps on it has been awesome.
    Blog | FB

Along similar lines, does anyone know if "Letterboxing" was the precursor to geo-caching? It seems like it's what people did before the birth of the Internet.