Thread: Slickrock Trail

Slickrock Trail

A while back I asked about Noob trails in Moab. Some great suggestions were given, but one thing that kept coming up was to NOT do Slickrock. So we didn't. We rode some other trails in Utah, Colorado, and Arizona to improve out skills and have some fun. We finally decided to tackle Slickrock. We decided to do the full trail and take our time rather than the practice trail. The weather could not have been better and there must have been lots of others who felt the same way because the area was packed with bikers, motorcyclists, ATVers, jeepers, and hikers. It was great fun to take a rest from riding and watch the jeeps or motorcycles do their thang.

Anyway, my impressions of Slickrock:

1) There is nothing else that I've ever ridden that is quite like it.
    2) It is a butt-kicker and by the end of the loop my legs were jello.
    3) I can't believe what can be climbed and descended on slickrock. I felt more comfortable with the descents but I couldn't make the mental and physical commitment to the climbs.
    4) Parts of the trail are surreal. From amazing views of the LaSals and the Colorado to rare rolling portions of the trail that were as smooth and flowing as a highway.
    5) Almost everybody has to walk portions of the trail. We decided we would walk anything that was too sketchy. While we walked alot, by the end of the trail we had gotten more comfortable with what we could and could not ride. I suspect the next time we go out we will ride more.
    6) Definitely not a beginner ride (unless you want to walk the whole thing).
    7) I couldn't believe some of the bikes that were out there. Rigid singlespeeds and 1970's old-school rigids. Wild stuff.

We will be revisiting that trail again and again.

One picture follows. No pictures of me because I was always huffing and puffing too much to be picturesque.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The gostak distims the doshes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Chere'

Very cool report. I enjoyed reading your comments. Its so awesome to have Moab in our backyard.

That is an awesome pic there, and a great write up. I too was amazed as slick rock on my first adventure, bad thing is that it was 95 when I was there the first time so I was baking in the sun! Very cool report man, glad you had a great time.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Sounds like a great trip! I'm not a big mountain biker, but I did do the practice loop about 6 years ago - lots of fun, but I'll bet the full trip is exhausting! Glad you had a good time - excellent photo!

Beautiful photo! Here is my funny Slickrock story: A friend and I were riding Slickrock in the summer. It was hot. We started super early so we could beat the heat. Near the end of the ride with about a mile or two left to go, we decided to stop and chill in the shade of a rock and eat and hang for a few. While we were sitting, we saw a group of about 4 guys heading out on the trail - riding it counterclockwise. We could over hear their conversation.... the got to the top of a climb and stopped. One guy, obviously the "leader" of the group, turns and checks in with his gang "everyone doing OK? how's everyone's water?" (mind you, this is only a couple of miles into the trail, it's at least 90 degrees) He says, "I have this bottle and this one, I think I'm good, what about you?" to which his buddy replies, "I have this bottle anda FRESCA in my pack." and off they went. a FRESCA?!!? I wonder if search and rescue ended up helping these guys off??
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger View Post
    Beautiful photo! Here is my funny Slickrock story: A friend and I were riding Slickrock in the summer. It was hot. We started super early so we could beat the heat. Near the end of the ride with about a mile or two left to go, we decided to stop and chill in the shade of a rock and eat and hang for a few. While we were sitting, we saw a group of about 4 guys heading out on the trail - riding it counterclockwise. We could over hear their conversation.... the got to the top of a climb and stopped. One guy, obviously the "leader" of the group, turns and checks in with his gang "everyone doing OK? how's everyone's water?" (mind you, this is only a couple of miles into the trail, it's at least 90 degrees) He says, "I have this bottle and this one, I think I'm good, what about you?" to which his buddy replies, "I have this bottle anda FRESCA in my pack." and off they went. a FRESCA?!!? I wonder if search and rescue ended up helping these guys off??
    Happens all the time.

you would be amazed at what a Fresca can do for you, just ask Beech with his Giant DEW....LOL

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I think thats what happened on my first foray into the Slickrock world too. Only happened once. I'm always prepared with extra water now...as well as extra tubes, a 'magyver' tool, pump, chain, food, snacks.....um...anything I can fit into the camelback

Quote Originally Posted by live2ride View Post
    you would be amazed at what a Fresca can do for you, just ask Beech with his Giant DEW....LOL
    Hey, I've been clean for a month.
    ...but for some reason my appetite has doubled.