Thread: The Subway-March 28th-Shuttle

The Subway-March 28th-Shuttle

I have a total of 3 in one vehicle, hoping to set up a shuttle with someone to do the Subway on March 28th.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

North Fork conditions?

North Fork is running at sub 100CFS. I'm expecting a cold but mostly swim free day. How wrong am I? What will it be like? The Narrows bottom to Orderville I'm expecting too much water, not considering it a possibility should I?

Re: The Subway-March 28th-Shuttle

Quote Originally Posted by UintaSolitude
    I have a total of 3 in one vehicle, hoping to set up a shuttle with someone to do the Subway on March 28th.
    Be sure to take snowshoes. The KT Road is closed at Maloney Hill, and there is a LOT of snow at Wildcat Trailhead. Not too sure if the trail will be packed by skiers or snowshoers? At the current trend, the water may be flowing a fair bit in the Left Fork of North Creek? Be prepared to turn around just in case?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Mahoney Hill is packed from snowmobiles. If you get a real early start, the snow might be crusted enough to hold you without postholing, from Wildcat TH down into the subway. It was 65deg. up there last week.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Re: North Fork conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by UintaSolitude
    I'm expecting a cold but mostly swim free day. How wrong am I? What will it be like? The Narrows bottom to Orderville I'm expecting too much water, not considering it a possibility should I?
    Cold . . . yes very cold this early in the year. Swim free . . . no, there will be swims and with all that snow and melt-off more places to get very wet, so I expect.

Note in normal conditions the Subway is a nice semi-technical canyon. When the Left Fork is cranking from snow melt-off it becomes a technical C class canyon in the ACA ratings. Fun for those with class C skills. I did it in April and it was my first real canyon under "class C" conditions and I did not know class C skills. I was terrified. Became a hypothermic with a thin summertime wetsuit, 80 degree F at the lower elevations that day. Now that I know more it would be extremely fun in those conditions.

What will be the difference between late March be from mid April and the height of the melt-off? no clue. But I'd strongly recommend a thicker full wetsuit with booties (wet suit socks) or a drysuit.

Depending on the river flow the Narrows from the bottom into lower Orderville would be fun. Again drysuits/wetsuits will be needed. River flow has to be less than 120 csf at the Springdale N. Fork of the Virgin river station.

You can rent drysuits and the equipment you need in Springdale if you don't already have these items.

Have fun. Would be great to experience these hikes with the proper equipment under these conditions.

Thanks!

Replies most helpful! Thanks to all! I think it wise to postpone a first time experience in a previously unknown environment for more predictable and manageable conditions.... Off to the Swell, Coyote, or maybe Buckskin, I suppose!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Good decision

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Good decision
    X2
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    When the Left Fork is cranking from snow melt-off it becomes a technical C class canyon in the ACA ratings. Fun for those with class C skills. I did it in April and it was my first real canyon under "class C" conditions and I did not know class C skills. I was terrified. Became a hypothermic with a thin summertime wetsuit, 80 degree F at the lower elevations that day. Now that I know more it would be extremely fun in those conditions.
    I'm going Saturday May 8th hoping to find the class C conditions we ran into in 05. I think we have a spot open if you want to join us. You can't really prediction the conditions because it depends so much on the snowpack and how quickly it warms up.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide
    I'm going Saturday May 8th hoping to find the class C conditions we ran into in 05. I think we have a spot open if you want to join us. You can't really prediction the conditions because it depends so much on the snowpack and how quickly it warms up.
    Yeah I may be game if I can carpool, would love to tick Russel Gulch off my list. I went April 08 there is a trip report on here. I remember you asking about the conditions and posting your 05 flow pictures. Not as much flow in April 08 as there was in your 05 trip.

My bet May 8th will be tamer than my April 18th 2008 trip which was much tamer than your 05 trip. Still should be fun with the flow.