Thread: [Invite] - Ogden BST North - Wed Mar 24

[Invite] - Ogden BST North - Wed Mar 24

So Mark and I tried the Ogden Bonneville Shoreline Trail from Rainbow Gardens south and it was mostly clear of snow until right after Taylor Canyon.

We cruised back down and rode up a bit north of 12th street to check it out up there and it looks clear.

Neither of us have been on it and decided we'll hit it next week, most likely Wednesday, weather permitting.

If you'd like to join us PLEASE grab my cell number from me through private message, and leave yours too. I don't text

We'll probably hit it around 5 pm. We'll just meet in Rainbow Gardens parking lot.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

in weather permitting. I will follow this post but cant wait to hit it!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

If you are going 12 North count me out, too many damn goat heads. and with the new trail that they cut in they took out most of the technical stuff. There is still some mud up a little higher but it is rideable....minus the goat heads everwhere in the trail.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Goatheads got my tire on Monday on that trail! Grrrrr

I am a maybe. Depends on work.
    Chere'

With the goat heads, can you see the plant on the trail, or are they just isolated? I hate them as well but maybe I've got enough slime in my tires to be OK.

Is there a specific area where you'll find them?

And.... how far north do you guys usually ride?

By the way, I stole this kmz file from mtnbkr on the UMB forum.
    Attached Files Attached Files

THose damn things just seem to be everywhere, usually you are pretty safe if you stay exactly on the trail, but I have had nothing but bad luck and it is usually two new tubes after that ride so unless you have a bunch of slime or are runninng stans or can stay away from them chances are you will get a puncture, must be something with that area. I will post up a garmin connect link tonight that has the route I take.

I'm hearing that the goat heads may clear up after you pass 2nd or 3rd street. Plus, that's where it gets technical. Would it be worth it just to start from up there and ride north?

There's been a ton of bikes over there lately. It's good though, I look forward to the small breathers when I step off the trail.

I would ride from 12th street. It is in good shape and fun. If you start too far north and ride north it is short and the technical section down there is really fun but really technical. I like it but it is slow and short. I bet you would like it better if you rode from 12th to the dead end and back.

I have been on this trail 3 times this spring an about 10 more times the last 2 years and have not noticed the goathead problem. (I am sure it exists) but If you have slime I wouldnt sweat it.

I am going to ride the BSTNorth with my wife and her friends from the SO.OGDEN hood around 11:30 today (sat). I will have some extra tubes on hand. Show up and ride.
    Still trying to get in riding shape.

When I road last Monday I am not sure how far over I rode but a long ways and turned around and came back some where just past the water tower I picked up a goathead and was robbed of my downhill to the parking lot. I had a spare tire but hiked the bike down instead.

Next month I am going tubeless. Don't have the cash this month.
    Chere'

Think the trail will be muddy from last night's sleet?

depends on temp and weather I am always suprised at how fast it does dry out

a little mud is ok that trail is mostly rocky and looks like i should be able to join
    Chere'

I think that trail will be good to go by today at 5 it dries out fast.

My wife picked up a goathead on saturday up there.
    She has the airlock tubes so it didnt mess up our ride but its funny that happens the day I said i had not noticed a problem up there with goatheads.

Blueeyes,
    I went tubeless a year ago and it has worked out great you will like them.
    I am not going to say "I have not had one flat on tubeless tires" because I will get one the next ride after I say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Blueeyes,
    I am not going to say "I have not had one flat on tubeless tires" because I will get one the next ride after I say that.
    So what is it about tubeless that prevents flats? The thicker tire?

BTW, I'm still in for today, hope to see you guys there. Ryan and Chere, I've got your phone numbers. Please remember, I don't have texting service. :(

Hopefully Mark will be able to join us today too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Blueeyes,
    So what is it about tubeless that prevents flats? The thicker tire?

BTW, I'm still in for today, hope to see you guys there. Ryan and Chere, I've got your phone numbers. Please remember, I don't have texting service. :(

Hopefully Mark will be able to join us today too.
    I can't go. I won't get out of work today unitl 7:30 if I am lucky.
    Chere'

no go for me, tubless tires running stans in them have the rubbery compound inside that fills all the small punctures etc. same idea with slime but lighter and minus the tube. I was running stans and had to ditch it after I had to many problems and messy tire changes, and that was with a tubless specific tire and rim. I stay with the good old trusty tubes, if you roll a bead while riding and can;t get it sealed you have to toss a tube in and then it is a mess and you have to fork out some more cash for your filler of choice. Just not for me, but alot of people love em.

Mark and I will be there @ 5

See you there.