Thread: Areas to camp near Blanding

Areas to camp near Blanding

Can anyone recommend any good campgrounds near Mule Canyon or Road canyon?

Thanks guys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

there some good campsites in the bottom of comb wash on the south side of highway 95. only downside is no early morning sun.

the only other established campsite is at natural bridges nat. monument, a couple miles west past the turnoff (261) that takes you to grand gulch. toilets, water. fee area. you will se the signs.

there is plenty of free camping on cedar mesa. individual sites are already established on most side roads off of hwy 261 so you don't need to create any more. 4wd can be handy if roads are wet.

bullet trailhead has camping. the road down to fish and owl canyons has camping. snow flat spring road has camping.

there is camping available at both trailheads into road canyon. no services, ie toilets or water. there is also a good campsite at the end of the road canyon road near the spring.

if you want exact locations i can get gps coordinates to you.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I usually camp in Comb Wash just off of 95
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

My vote is for Butler Wash.....I have been going in there for years now and I still find something new everytime. Here is a Basketmaker glyph that I found a couple of weeks ago in there. Give Butler Wash some thought as far as camping...there are some great spots in there...away from the trail heads.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "You're not lost...if you don't care where you are"
    Grand Gulch /Cedar Mesa Rock Art Hats

To learn more about the ruins of SE Utah:
    Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

Sweet.... I really like this picture....

Quote Originally Posted by Reddirtdawg
    My vote is for Butler Wash.....I have been going in there for years now and I still find something new everytime. Here is a Basketmaker glyph that I found a couple of weeks ago in there. Give Butler Wash some thought as far as camping...there are some great spots in there...away from the trail heads.
    that's amazing. i have seen thousands of glyphs all over utah and i have never seen one that looked so real, so neat, so..... it makes me question the authenticity of that particular glyph. to me it just isn't quite right. it looks too fresh to me. but then i am not an real expert, but i play one on tv.

it's also an unusual subject. i can't remember if i have ever seen a heron (i'm assuming) glyph before. either as a pictograph or a petroglyph. cornnstalks, kokopellis, bighorn sheep, atalatal's, anthropomorphs with ducks on their head, all by the hundreds. this one is unique.

i know there are fakes out there. there are a set of hands in monument cave (if i remember correctly), high on the back wall. very authentic looking, but done in the past 15 years.

denaliguide ~ I can assure you it is authentic. You are right though, it does look "too fresh" in the photo. You will have to forgive me, I did use photo shop to enhance the glyph so people can see it better in the photo. You will notice in the b&W shot that the contrast of the bird and the little "bulls eye" to the right of it are different. I brought the contrast of the bird up and outlined it so it would stand out more but did not do that to the "bullseye"....that is why it looks so "fresh" This glyph is one that everyone misses and you will not find many shots of it on the web. I think Tom Till has photographed it and you will also find a shot of it in the Sally J. Cole book "Legacy on Stone"
    Though being in the Cole book does not necessarily validate its authenticity.

Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide

it's also an unusual subject. i can't remember if i have ever seen a heron (i'm assuming) glyph before. either as a pictograph or a petroglyph. cornnstalks, kokopellis, bighorn sheep, atalatal's, anthropomorphs with ducks on their head, all by the hundreds. this one is unique.
    I have seen and photographed many other heron glyphs here in the Southwest. Some in Montezuma Creek...I believe those are more recent though...maybe Ute. Also, some very ancient ones located in New Mexico. Though, none of those are as "photogenic" as Big Bob.

Visit Beyond Mesa Verde
    Visit Anasazi Ruins

i didn't know it had a name, or did you come up with big bob? that and the fact that it is in cole's book does give it a leg up on the authenticity scale.

i could see it as being ute or navajo. it just has more of a kachina type of look to it.

just the same. the next time i am down there, i would love to see it.

Not near as cool as big bob but...

Hopefully I can go looking for this guy tomorrow and have my own photos but just in case this picture found can be found at the following website just in case the photographer is a bogleyite!
    http://homepage.mac.com/dicklundholm/PhotoAlbum18.html
    Attached Images Attached Images