Thread: None technical slot

None technical slot

I'm wanting to take my family to a slot canyon that does not require any repelling but is still moderately challenging. Also, I would prefer one that does not have big crowds. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The peek-a-boo and spooky loop is the most fun I have had in a non technical slot. Lots of exploring in the region. There is another uneventful slot in the area that has about as much excitement as a walk down a jagged sidewalk - but scenery to make the quick 20-30 min walk worth while (out and back).

Also in escalante is Zebra and Tunnel. Zebra is worth it for the scenery at least once. Tunnel is not worth it. At all, for any reason.

Obviously, the Little Wild Horse and Bell canyon loop is a classic.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Re: None technical slot

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger1971
    I'm wanting to take my family to a slot canyon that does not require any repelling but is still moderately challenging. Also, I would prefer one that does not have big crowds. Any advice would be appreciated.
    what do you consider moderately challenging?

egypt 3 (exiting before final slot with rappel), davis gulch, west fork of red breaks canyon, little death hollow (overnight), round valley draw, bull valley gorge

Ding and Dang canyons loop by Little Wildhorse is much more technical if your kids aren't too young. Couple of good downclimbs.

How old are your kids and when do you plan to be out there? I have a five and nine year old and we are planning to do the same thing, LWH, Bell, Spooky & Peek a Boo over spring break, which for us is last week of March, 1st of April...weather contingent of course. If same age range, might be fun to hang out with another family.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

If I remember right, Moonshine Wash in the Roost might be a good choice. No rappels and a few semi-challenging obstacles is what I remember. Check into it.

You might want to take a look at this post.

Ten Canyons for Noobies
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12643

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger1971
    what do you consider moderately challenging?

egypt 3 (exiting before final slot with rappel), davis gulch, west fork of red breaks canyon, little death hollow (overnight), round valley draw, bull valley gorge
    I tried Bull Valley last Spring and the logs on the third obstacle weren't there, leaving a 8'-ish drop from an over-hanging choke stone. Even with wedding loops and team work the overhang and lack of hand holds on the choke stone made it a tough climb back up.

Of course things might have changed in the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by ag23
    I tried Bull Valley last Spring and the logs on the third obstacle weren't there, leaving a 8'-ish drop from an over-hanging choke stone. Even with wedding loops and team work the overhang and lack of hand holds on the choke stone made it a tough climb back up.

Of course things might have changed in the past year.
    if one is able to descend the slot and negotiate all the drops, there are routes out of the canyon near where the slot opens to a wider canyon.

and it should be mentioned that in any slot with downclimbs a short rope can be handy for those that need it.

I took my family and a puppy in ding and dang. It wasn't difficult for us. If you have a couple of adults with good dc skills and kids that aren't too afraid you should be fine. Biggest obstacle we had was near the end and we used a short rope. We ahd about knee deep water at the end. My guess is the hole could hold more water.

Here is a TR from our trip
    http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...ight=ding+dang
    The man thong is wrong.

I took my 3 year old through kannarra creek in kanarraville. It's awesome.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    Oh gosh yes! That is such a fun place! We went there in '08. Here's my friend Zoe in one of the most "moderately challenging" bits:

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    great in the summer. not a great place now with the snow (unless your ice climbing) or when it's cranking in the spring from snow meltoff.

I have 3 kid, 8 year old boy, 11 year old girl and 13 year old boy. I think we will be going April 30th thru May 2. Thanks for the advice.

Here are some great suggestions you might find helpful:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3982
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Is there any camping near Kannarra Creek? Do you have to camp in a camp ground?

If you are asking is there camping at or near the trailhead the answer is "NO".... I don't know where the nearest camping is but it is at least several miles away.

There are some wicked awesome non-technical canyons on the east side of Zion's, just after the switchbacks and main tunnel on route 9. Some pretty cool art panels in the area as well.