Thread: Backpacking Arches or Capitol Reef???

Backpacking Arches or Capitol Reef???

So thus far, I have narrowed down my next desert trip to either a couple of days in the backcountry of either Capitol Reef, or Arches. I have spent some time in Capotil Reef and a fair amount in Arches over the last decade, but am yet to actually venture off the beaten path in either. From all the searching I have done, it looks like not too many other people have either though. I have talked to the rangers at both parks and both sound as though they could be interesting, although Capitol Reef sounds like there could be more scenery near a good area to pitch the tent. If anyone has any experience or recommendations on either please let me know. I am coming from Denver, so the two hour drive difference is the main reason for not going straight to Capitol Reef. Any advice or stories would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    -Brandon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not much backpacking in Arches, it's pretty easy to day hike everything in that park.

Several popular backpacks in Capital Reef. Chimney Rock Canyon and Hall's Creek Narrows are two.

Are you married to those two parks? lots of good backpacks in southern Utah. Grand Gulch would be at the top of my to-do list.

No not at all, but I have done the White Rim, most of the Maze, and just did a second backpacking trip through the Needles for Thanksgiving. Also, taking a first timer to the desert, and thought it would be fun to hit one of the parks, and Zion is a little far for a quick trip.

Another vote for Grand Gulch. It's a great area! Perhaps the standard Kane to Bullet loop. According to Google Maps, it's 20 more minutes to the Kane Gulch ranger station than to the Visitor's Center in Capitol Reef.

Very worthwhile. It's totally an outdoor museum - great hiking with amazing anthropological sites.

Here's a trip report on a longer (5 day) Grand Gulch trip I did a couple of years ago:

http://bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11757

if you're trying to cut the drive down, only a small section of capitol reef is a short driving distance. halls creek is a wonderful area but it's a more substantial drive.

since you've been in the needles and the maze, you could also descend into monument basin if that area is of interest to you. water is an issue in the area

Decided on Arches

Finally decided on Arches for Easter Weekend, if interested I posted some pictures and a little blurb about the adventure, www.brandonbeehler.blogspot.com

Beautiful pics. I love the devils garden area. That is awesome that you guys explored back in there. Thanks for posting the TR.
    The man thong is wrong.