Thread: Zion National Park this Summer

Zion National Park this Summer

I had a fun day in Zion today, but learned something that may or may not have been discussed or thrown out there yet? Route 9 from Canyon Junction, up the switchbacks and beyond has not had a restructure or resurface in MANY years. Guess what? This spring/summer work begins. This will affect a great many recreational opportunities. Not too sure when it all starts, but be sure to pay attention to the nps.gov/zion website to get updates.

FWIW
    Bo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hey Bo, yeah it was briefly mentioned as an aside in the Family Fest thread. It's going to be interesting to see how this work affects canyon permits on the east side (Pine Creek, Spry, Keyhole). I'm a little frustrated, because I really want to take the kids through Keyhole and Pine Creek, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Hey Bo, yeah it was briefly mentioned as an aside in the Family Fest thread. It's going to be interesting to see how this work affects canyon permits on the east side (Pine Creek, Spry, Keyhole). I'm a little frustrated, because I really want to take the kids through Keyhole and Pine Creek, at least.
    I hear you. I'm not certain what affect it will be on P.C., Keyhole and Spry Permits, but I have a feeling that it could be a pretty big impact? I'm sure that the NPS website (permits online) will be the tell-tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    I hear you. I'm not certain what affect it will be on P.C., Keyhole and Spry Permits, but I have a feeling that it could be a pretty big impact? I'm sure that the NPS website (permits online) will be the tell-tale.
    I did call the BC desk, and they were just having such a hard time saying what would happen. I think it will be a lot of playing it by ear. We'll see!

As we often say in Air Traffic Control - timing is everything.

Edited because when I'm that tired I can't spell worth crap.

The drift I get is that Pine Creek, Spry and Keyhole permits will not be available when the road crews are working in the area of a particular canyon. If you visit the Zion Backcountry permit page you will notice they are not taking permit reservations for Pine Creek, Spry or Keyhole in May. But they are still listing walk-in's as available.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    The drift I get is that Pine Creek, Spry and Keyhole permits will not be available when the road crews are working in the area of a particular canyon. If you visit the Zion Backcountry permit page you will notice they are not taking permit reservations for Pine Creek, Spry or Keyhole in May. But they are still listing walk-in's as available.

Hmm - looks like they're not showing walk-ins either (zeros all the way). If there were walk-ins, the day would be red with a number in it.

When I spoke to the BC desk, they didn't want to offer permits, then have to cancel them. If they can offer them last minute (once they know the roadwork schedule) they will do so, on a walk-in basis.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I wonder if there will be a lot of poaching to access these canyons in wilderness no crowd conditions

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    I wonder if there will be a lot of poaching to access these canyons in wilderness no crowd conditions
    You mean as apposed to all the poaching that goes on when no permits are available?

Much easier to poach with a large crowd....

I wonder if the backcountry desk are likely to be sympathetic if one approaches and explains that one will be getting a lift up there, and that no car parking is required?

They probably won't be willing to parse it out like that. They'll either be issuing permits or not, is my thought.

Kinda wondering if you could get to Spry "the long way"...hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Kinda wondering if you could get to Spry "the long way"...hmmm...
    Starting at Weeping Rock?

ETA: Before I found out about canyoneering and that it was something I could even contemplate doing, I thought the coolest thing once could do in one long day at Zion would be to hike to the cable works. Now I suspect you couldn't pay me to do that (hard work, exposed to the Sun, exhausting, etc.).