Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coyote Gulch footwear

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Funny, the ruins site I was just saying would be a nice place to camp is about the mid-way point between those springs. I guess if we fill up on our way past the first... And camping away from the springs might get us away from other campers...
    And I expect the stream will be flowing so we can always filter, right? I assume the stream is pretty silty? Maybe we should pre-filter with a screen or allow the water to stand and settle in a jug before filtering?
    How many days are you planning on hiking?
    Are you doing it as an out n back?
    Are you planning on hiking the death hill in or out near the Escalante?

Next time I do this canyon this will be my game plan.....
    Day1:
    Park just beyond Chimney rock where the road dead ends.
    Hike down to Hurricane wash and into Coyote Gulch
    Set up base camp somewhere between Jacob Hamblin Arch and the Swiss Cheese Falls.

Day2:
    With a light day pack hike from camp to the Escalante/Stevens Arch and return back to the same campsite... It would be a long day hike but I bet I could make it from Jacob Hamblin to the Escalante in under 3 hours of hiking.

Day3: Hike out the way I came in.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It was a beautiful day hike when I did it.

Parked at the 40 mile bench tank (near the Jacob Hamblin Arch entrance/exit, the 177 degrees magnetic line, on Tom's map http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/esca/coy100.jpg), walked to Hurricane Wash (beeline toward Dance Hall Rock, to join the wash), down all the way to the sand slog Crack in the Wall exit, across the slickrock to rejoin the road, and walk it back to the car.

11 hours, which would make a great overnight loop, camping near the arch. Coming up the sand wasn't bad at all - I think it's a little exaggerated, myself. The crack in the wall itself was easy and very cool.

We're going to sit down tomorrow evening to finalize the itinerary but I was thinking:
    Day 1: Down Hurricane Wash to somewhere near Jacob Hamblin Arch (wherever we find a good site).
    Day 2: Down to Escalante, drop packs to establish camp somewhere between Coyote Gulch and Stevens Canyon. Continue packless up Stevens Canyon to explore a bit then back to camp.
    Day 3: Back up Coyote.
    Day 4: Back to the car.
    I don't think that's going to work though 'cause we only have 3 days.

Is it pretty sandy up on Fortymile? If we tried to make a loop by coming out through the Crack in the Wall could we stage a bike up there to go get the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    It was a beautiful day hike when I did it.

Parked at the 40 mile bench tank (near the Jacob Hamblin Arch entrance/exit, the 177 degrees magnetic line, on Tom's map http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/esca/coy100.jpg), walked to Hurricane Wash (beeline toward Dance Hall Rock, to join the wash), down all the way to the sand slog Crack in the Wall exit, across the slickrock to rejoin the road, and walk it back to the car.

11 hours, which would make a great overnight loop, camping near the arch. Coming up the sand wasn't bad at all - I think it's a little exaggerated, myself. The crack in the wall itself was easy and very cool.
    I think you just answered my question before I asked it. If we do this route I think we can do a 3 day loop with time to explore Stevens canyon. Nice! Thanks Kev!

Just my 2 cents: always protect your ankles.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden