Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Gulch footwear

Coyote Gulch footwear

I have never backpacked Coyote Gulch but I am hopefully going to remedy that this next week. I am torn between taking my GTX backpacking boots and a pair of Keen sandals or... my normal trail running shoes and keens. I figure the water will be plenty cold this time of year, anyone have any idea about the depth?

suggestions....

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I did it in Chacos and had no problems.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    in what month and how deep were the crossings?

The deepest you'll see is down on the Escalante, and that will be over the knee deep if you go over to Stevens Arch. Most of the stuff in Coyote is ankle deep (mid June)

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    in what month and how deep were the crossings?
    March 2002, not even ankle deep if that. Escalante was much deeper, to about our knees.

I was in Coyote Gulch last weekend and there was mad snow. Unless it melts like crazy this week be prepared. Wild year in this area.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenDean
    I was in Coyote Gulch last weekend and there was mad snow. Unless it melts like crazy this week be prepared. Wild year in this area.
    good to know - thanks much
    any photos from your trip?

These pics should speak for themselves...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Kind of feel like shooting the messenger?

Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenDean

Thanks for the recent info about Escalante area conditions! Bring better news next time though ;)

We're looking at Coyote Gulch next weekend (April 24-26). Anyone been down there more recently want to shed some light on current conditions?
    I've seen some cool pictures of native art in Coyote, anyone have directions or GPS to help find these or are they pretty obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    We're looking at Coyote Gulch next weekend (April 24-26). Anyone been down there more recently want to shed some light on current conditions?
    I've seen some cool pictures of native art in Coyote, anyone have directions or GPS to help find these or are they pretty obvious?
    Sorry I haven't had time to dig up any coords for you, but I think this may be enough to find it. In the attached pic you'll see how the canyon has opened up quite wide and there are a series of grassy terraces. There really wasn't any place else like this in the lower canyon (i.e. below the Coyote Natural Bridge). There are a bunch of social trails leading up the Navajo walls on the left (as facing down canyon) side. There were a couple of pictograph panels here and a few shards and things in the alcove. Seemed to me like the ancestral dwellers used this area for farming. The terraces made for some nice campsites too.

The first pic is taken from up in the alcove at the base of the Navajo wall. Enjoy your trip!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Oh and I might as well throw in my $.02 about Summit's choice of footware! I don't think you'll be wading very often/long. If there is snow the boots will be better than trail running shoes. And if they are on your feet and not in your pack the weight isn't as much of any issue. I'd go with Boots+Keens.

You don't say which route you are planning on taking though. I'd especially say Boots+Keens if you are doing either Jacob H. or Crack-in-the-Wall for better gripping and ankle support. OTOH, many folks do darn near everything in trail running shoes (my wife for one who hates boots). The other extreme would be to do 100% Keens but include some neoprene socks for warmth. We ended up doing basically all of Buckskin/Paria that way and found it quite comfortable and supportive enough.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

... My Keens ended up being dead weight, the water was just to cold in mid March. I only wore them from on day one from Hurricane Wash to Jacob Hamblin Arch and my poor feet felt like ice blocks. The GTX boots were the way to go becuase the steam is so shallow at 90% of the crossings.
    I do plan on doing this hike again (Hopefully this fall) and I think I going with the same footwear choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    Sorry I haven't had time to dig up any coords for you, but I think this may be enough to find it. In the attached pic you'll see how the canyon has opened up quite wide and there are a series of grassy terraces. There really wasn't any place else like this in the lower canyon (i.e. below the Coyote Natural Bridge). There are a bunch of social trails leading up the Navajo walls on the left (as facing down canyon) side. There were a couple of pictograph panels here and a few shards and things in the alcove. Seemed to me like the ancestral dwellers used this area for farming. The terraces made for some nice campsites too.

The first pic is taken from up in the alcove at the base of the Navajo wall. Enjoy your trip!
    [SIZE=2]That sounds pretty obvious. Actually sounds like the kind of place Cody would have looked even without the social trails. I

[QUOTE=Don;398818][SIZE=2]That sounds pretty obvious. Actually sounds like the kind of place Cody would have looked even without the social trails. I

Nice map recon Summit! I really love that NewBogley allows Google map inserts! I understand there's a spring just down canyon from Jacob Hamblin Arch, should be near where you're pointing as well right?

Speaking of inserting maps; how do you mark the map with the arrow and get it to stay there when you share the map here?
    Last edited by Don; 04-15-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Testing map shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Nice map recon Summit! I really love that NewBogley allows Google map inserts! I understand there's a spring just down canyon from Jacob Hamblin Arch, should be near where you're pointing as well right?
    pretty awesome feature but I wish we could insert custom maps... any word on that beech?

The is a springs I noticed where here
    1. just east of Jacob Hamblin Arch near the first outhouse
    37.419804,-111.042488

2. near the second outhouse.
    37.421857, -111.002587

Funny, the ruins site I was just saying would be a nice place to camp is about the mid-way point between those springs. I guess if we fill up on our way past the first... And camping away from the springs might get us away from other campers...
    And I expect the stream will be flowing so we can always filter, right? I assume the stream is pretty silty? Maybe we should pre-filter with a screen or allow the water to stand and settle in a jug before filtering?